• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

I’m caving and getting a Glock 19.......which version?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glock 19x. 20 rounds at your disposal, factory night sights included, better factory trigger than previous generations, ambidextrous slide stop, and no finger grooves for those with the girly hand syndrome.

Another vote for the gen 3. I would be happy with any of them if you gave it to me. If I'm spending my money though, I haven't seen anything on the 4 or 5 that makes me want to spend the extra money on them.

I have a gen 4 and it is excellent. You can find some good deals on new gen 4 Glocks right now as well, if you shop around, with the new gen 5's being the current hot item.

If you like the finger groves, gen 3/4 will work fine. If not, get the Gen 5. It's actually pretty nice.

However... why would you limit yourself on capacity for shooting paper, or more importantly, defending your home?

There is NO reason at all to have a light, concealable handgun sitting on your nightstand. It should be big (i.e. stable and easy to shoot) with lots of capacity.

Let's do some math...

According to the FBI, the 'average' home invasion crew is 3 people. Could be 2, could be 5, but we'll stick with 3 for this exercise.

According to NYPD, their officers get 'good' (i.e. center mass) hits on target roughly 50% of the time in officer-involved shootings.

According to a study I can''t remember where, it takes roughly 3 'good' hits to stop an attacker. This was the basis of the 'rule of 3' in self defense.... with the 'average' self-defense shooting involving 3 shots within 3 yards in 3 seconds. to end the attack

So 3 people who need 3 shots each to stop them is 9 shots... But assuming you are as good as a trained police officer, you will miss half those shots, so the new total is 18 shots required to stop those 3 attackers.

A Glock 19 magazine has 15 shots... you just failed a very bad math test.

A G19 makes sense when you have to lug it around, but for a bedside gun you are trading weight for capacity for no reason. Get the biggest pistol you can with a nice heavy (and useful) light on the front rail and load it up with your favorite SD ammo. If it won't hold at least 18 rounds, ditch it and get something that will.

Or do the right thing and just keep an AR handy.

If you like the finger groves, gen 3/4 will work fine. If not, get the Gen 5. It's actually pretty nice.

However... why would you limit yourself on capacity for shooting paper, or more importantly, defending your home?

There is NO reason at all to have a light, concealable handgun sitting on your nightstand. It should be big (i.e. stable and easy to shoot) with lots of capacity.

Let's do some math...

According to the FBI, the 'average' home invasion crew is 3 people. Could be 2, could be 5, but we'll stick with 3 for this exercise.

According to NYPD, their officers get 'good' (i.e. center mass) hits on target roughly 50% of the time in officer-involved shootings.

According to a study I can''t remember where, it takes roughly 3 'good' hits to stop an attacker. This was the basis of the 'rule of 3' in self defense.... with the 'average' self-defense shooting involving 3 shots within 3 yards in 3 seconds. to end the attack

So 3 people who need 3 shots each to stop them is 9 shots... But assuming you are as good as a trained police officer, you will miss half those shots, so the new total is 18 shots required to stop those 3 attackers.

A Glock 19 magazine has 15 shots... you just failed a very bad math test.

A G19 makes sense when you have to lug it around, but for a bedside gun you are trading weight for capacity for no reason. Get the biggest pistol you can with a nice heavy (and useful) light on the front rail and load it up with your favorite SD ammo. If it won't hold at least 18 rounds, ditch it and get something that will.

Or do the right thing and just keep an AR handy.

Totally agree with keeping the AR handy, but with a G19 it will accept any double stack 9mm Glock mag, including the 33 rounders. I carry the 33 round stick as a back up mag on a regular basis. My home defense gun is an AK, though...LOL

I prefer the Gen 3 Glocks because I do not like the textured grips. I have not handled a Gen 5 yet so I cannot compare to them.

If it is just going to be a nightstand/paper shooting gun, I would go with the 17 for extra magazine capacity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom