• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

I am an idiot. Oil in automatic transmission.

SuperMario92

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
63   4
Reaction score
So yesterday my girlfriends car develop a small leak underneath the transmission. Rather than take it to a mechanic I decided to change the gasket myself and do the transmission filter while I was underneath the car. Long story short what was supposed to be an hour job turned into me working on the car until 3 in the morning. And just as I was supposed to be putting in new transmission fluid I realized that I was actually putting in motor oil. Needless to say the car did not move this morning. Think if I just swap out the fluids I'll be ok? The car is a 95 Chevy Blazer.

You didnt hurt anything by doing that. Its just going to take several drain/fills to get the thick motor oil flushed out. Your best option is to have it towed and flushed by a pressurized flusher. That oil needs to be pushed out.

your best bet would be to do a flush to get as much of the oil out that you can.

Correct, have it towed to the Chevy dealer and have the trans flushed. If you ran it at all it got oil into the torque converter and no amount of changing the fluid will get it all out. I will be very surprised if it recovers from this screw up.

Back
Top Bottom