• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

I am an idiot. Oil in automatic transmission.

and when you take it to the shop swallow your pride and tell them what you did. That way they can be extra sure they get all the oil out.

you didnt put trans fluid in your engine instead of oil did you?

Correct, have it towed to the Chevy dealer and have the trans flushed. If you ran it at all it got oil into the torque converter and no amount of changing the fluid will get it all out. I will be very surprised if it recovers from this screw up.
Think so? I was thinking of just replacing the file again, draining it, and filling it with fresh atf. Don't think that'll be sufficient?

Think so? I was thinking of just replacing the file again, draining it, and filling it with fresh atf. Don't think that'll be sufficient?
You can only drain about 1/2 to 2/3 of the fluid out. The rest will be in the torque converter. Don't drive it. Tow it to someone who has the proper equipment to flush it. Like several other people have suggested.

once you tried to move it, the oil has now circulated (pumped) through the transmission and into the torque converter and valve body assemblies. I would not go to the chevy dealer....too much $$$. Since you are in Kennesaw, Skene's transmission service here in Cartersville are the guys to see. They are fair and honest. Give them a call, they will give you the best advice.
  • (770) 387-2582

Not trying to add insult to injury, I really am just curious. Was alcohol involved?? Trans holds a lot of fluid. Just wondering how you poured and opened and poured repeatedly without noticing.

You should flush it but dont worry about it to much. People would be amazed at what will run in vehicles. One of the advantages of growing up where everyone drove a claped out cobbled together piece of crap was that you could try all kinds of stuff you wouldn't dare do to a 30k plus "nice" car. I once drove from Atlanta to Lavonia with the trans full of Thompson's water seal (long story) that trans never slipped again. Drained it out when we got home and filled with ATF, G2G.
Look at any transmission additives, what are they? Very thick oil. It raises the viscosity, that builds more pressure so a worn trans will shift better. Adding thick oil to EVERYTHING under the hood is an old used car dealers trick. Your gonna be OK.

and when you take it to the shop swallow your pride and tell them what you did. That way they can be extra sure they get all the oil out.

you didnt put trans fluid in your engine instead of oil did you?
Trans fluid is one of the best internal engine cleaners out there. Just don't run it too long.

Back
Top Bottom