• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

I am an idiot. Oil in automatic transmission.

The good thing about transmission fluid is that it acts like a detergent.

And a detergent that really clean motor oil away from metal parts, plastic parts, etc.

I've used transmission fluid to clean engines out with my father in law that swore that running tranny fluid through them would decarbon them and leave them shiny inside...he was right.

I do a lot of oil changes and my plastic oil catch pan always takes a while to drip all the oil out of it when I have it draining into my used oil drum.

If I ever get transmission fluid mixed with my used oil my catch pan always drains so quickly and every drop comes out as opposed to motor oil only usually adhering to the walls of the catch pan.
I've got the 15 quart catch pan with the small plug in the center with a breather plug on the side.
It has a spout with a removeable cap for draining it.

I swear it feels so much lighter when I drain it after transmission fluid has been in there.

I would probably run this car hot and then drain it again after your proper flush.

Change the filter again of course then do,it again for safe measure.

I'll file this under, what the epa doesn't know don't hurt em.
I bought and towed a '68 fairlane from west ga back in 2007 on a dolly. After I pulled out of the guys property with the car, I stopped at a QT and dumped about 3-4 quarts of ATF in their parking lot when I pulled the driveshaft... I felt awful but I had nothing to catch it with. Really, I felt bad.

Back
Top Bottom