• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

I apologize if 22 LR is your thing, but...

In all seriousness my first gun was my Ruger 10/22 that I still own. The thing jammed about every 5 or 6 rounds though which would have me worried about using it for defense. And of course it doesn't weight as much, but the ballistics of a 22 aren't going to make it a very good SHTF caliber IMO.

If you shoot a 10/22, model 60 ,795 or 597, You have to shoot subsonics like cci mini mags for them to cycle properly, Golden bullets just wont work, Not saying that you didn't have good bullets but I have never had a jam in none of mine that I shot cci's exclusively, And I have at least one of each one above, I wouldn't bug out with a 10/22 because they are just too heavy, I prefer my 597 or my model 60, because they are just more accurate and they are lighter,But it is all preference, I would never bug out with a .223 or .556 because I can take them off the bodies and chances are they will be automatic... and a .22 is good for all game I shoot in the woods, because I grew up shooting deer out a window running 60 down a dirt road... We hunted for meat, My uncle owned a slaughter house so I learned young where to shoot a cow or hog with a .22 even across the field, so for the most part a .22 would serve me well but some people do have to have a larger caliber because of the lack of knowledge of shot placement, Not saying you don't know just saying....But everyone has their opinion and you are more than welcome to have yours, And honestly I wish everyone would stop shooting .22's That way there would be more for me...JMHO

And actually what most people don't know is a .223 is just a souped up .22 designed to wound the enemy, because the military decided it took more people to carry a wounded person than a dead one...just a little trivia...(^^^)

Last edited:
22lr will penetrate a 1/2 plywood at 440 yards. They are capable of being more than just a plinker.
And yet it only penetrated less than 1" of flesh on my leg from less than a foot away. Besides a burning sensation from the muzzle blast I didn't feel anything. It didn't actually start to hurt until an hour later.

And actually what most people don't know is a .223 is just a souped up .22 designed to wound the enemy, because the military decided it took more people to carry a wounded person than a dead one...just a little trivia...(^^^)

Actually, most people like yourself believe that and they like yourself are wrong. That is an old gun store counter commando BS story that has been around since the 1960s. In fact, the fragmenting properties of the 3000 FPS bullet has actually proven to be a MORE effective killer than the older larger M80 and M2 ball ammo which were more likely to punch a 30 caliber hole clean through the person doing little damage.

Also, .223 or 5.56 is a .224 caliber bullet. .22LR is a .221 caliber bullet, so in reality the 5.45 which is also a .221 caliber bullet is the souped up .22LR, not the .223. Damn, there is a lot of periods in that sentance. :thumb:

Stuck firing pin on a Jennings 22 and me not following all four of the safety rules. Finger was off the trigger, but apparently the gun was pointed at something I was not willing to destroy when I released the slide.

I'm trying to picture you owning a Jennings.............nope, must have been somebody else's.

Back
Top Bottom