• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

I Do not buy meat from Sam’s

Tomato House Farms in Dahlonega has a great butcher shop. A couple months ago, I bought 2 grass fed Iowa steaks, either ribeyes or New York strips, that were dry aged 45 days. Probably some of the best steaks I’ve ever eaten. They don’t get them often, but if I’m nearby and they have dry aged steaks, I make sure I get some. As a bonus, they’re only a few minutes from Ken’s @DAHLONEGA GOLD AND PAWN
Can’t beat bullets and beef!

You know this is kinda disturbing..... how old does meat have to be before you can smell it... rotten?

The disturbing part is how many times did you cook “old” meat just before you can smell it? I mean if you didn’t smell the bad meat, say it was right before the rotting smell, unknowingly cooked it and ATE it!!! I mean how many times can you recall saying “ahhh this didn’t taste as good as last time”. I must have not marinated enough this time!?!?!?

I used to have a little BBQ catering business. Truth is cryo-vac meat can smell "off" when it is good. All meat that is not frozen is decomposing, and off gases. Even in cellophane, there is enough porosity for the gases to dissipate.

Not with cryo-vac, and especially not with ribs which have a large surface area.

What I would do, is cut off a rib and smell at the bone. True decomposition starts at the bone, and will knock you hear off. If it's not really strong along the bone, the meat is good. Per the head of the UGA meat dept., washing the meat in distilled vinegar will take off the funk.

FWIW. I bought most of my meat at Sam's. but usually in case lots, and always from the cooler, not the counter. Even when I was only purchasing a few slabs, I would get them from the cooler.

As to "how long" my UGA guy says cryo-vac meat in the fridge can last months.

Never bought spoiled meat from Sam's (Hiram store) but have found their prices aren't always the best. I've started buying fresh meat from a place called Patak Meat Products, they also have some of the best prices around for European deli meats and sausages. Their Kassler smoked pork chops are the best I've ever had, cooked 4 last night and had their pastrami last week which IMHO is better than any of the deli counter chain stores...

I neglected to say Patak Meat Products are in Cobb County Ga.

Never bought spoiled meat from Sam's (Hiram store) but have found their prices aren't always the best. I've started buying fresh meat from a place called Patak Meat Products, they also have some of the best prices around for European deli meats and sausages. Their Kassler smoked pork chops are the best I've ever had, cooked 4 last night and had their pastrami last week which IMHO is better than any of the deli counter chain stores...
Patak is phenomenal

BTW, one reason I bought my BBQ meat as Sams is that it is not injected. Wal Mart can be injected up to 15%.

You can sell a pound of meat really cheap when 15% of it is water. I always thought it odd that no one really seemed to care, except me.

inject meat is it the pits (pun intended) for serious BBQ because it throws off you time and temps.

Stopped at Patak today, dropped another $250. 5# of smoked bacon, 6# of smoked beef bacon, Hunter, Hungarian, Odessa and Czech sausage. And spiral meat and apple pies are to die for. Eating meat and potatoe pies for dinner tonight.

Back
Top Bottom