• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I got my first Dillon Press today!!!!!

Finally got done with the budget at work and was able to sit down last night and work with the press. Man is it great. I knocked out 300rds in no time. And that was 3 different loads checking every 5th-7th for powder weight. Makes me want to buy another one just so I don't have to change primer tubes. The machine runs so smooth compared to the one I was running.

I was worried about the self indexing, but it was a pretty natural movement. It took me a minute to find a place to put my brass and once I found a good position for it everything was very smooth. All in all, I am very happy with my decision to buy the press.

Finally got done with the budget at work and was able to sit down last night and work with the press. Man is it great. I knocked out 300rds in no time. And that was 3 different loads checking every 5th-7th for powder weight. Makes me want to buy another one just so I don't have to change primer tubes. The machine runs so smooth compared to the one I was running.

I was worried about the self indexing, but it was a pretty natural movement. It took me a minute to find a place to put my brass and once I found a good position for it everything was very smooth. All in all, I am very happy with my decision to buy the press.

Just buy another primer assembly makes changing easier

But I know what you mean I want one for every caliber I shoot but that would mean a lot bigger loading room

Their casefeeders work wonders.

Jaswit--

I have a 550 that has had about every piece replaced at least once.

One of the things to remember is that the press and primer frame are aluminum; the steel screws will take the threads out of the primer assembly eventually. So, don't over-tighten them, and consider some anti-seize on the screw threads.

The good news here is that Dillon will send you a new one, free of charge, if you wear it out.

FYI:

I test drove a friend of mine's Hornady LNL for 1200 rounds of 45 ACP. I AM STICKING WITH DILLON.

I had lots of primer feed problems, and auto indexing was rough and required constant attention.

The five stations are not able to do any more than four stations on a dillon because the powder station does not flare the case--unless you buy another part.

The ergonomics are not as good either. Your right hand pumps the handle, but everything else is done with your left.

My conclusion on the Hornady was that it would be a decent rifle press, but it is not much of a high volume machine.

FYI:

I test drove a friend of mine's Hornady LNL for 1200 rounds of 45 ACP. I AM STICKING WITH DILLON.

I had lots of primer feed problems, and auto indexing was rough and required constant attention.

The five stations are not able to do any more than four stations on a dillon because the powder station does not flare the case--unless you buy another part.

The ergonomics are not as good either. Your right hand pumps the handle, but everything else is done with your left.

My conclusion on the Hornady was that it would be a decent rifle press, but it is not much of a high volume machine.

I have had my 550b for quite some time now and load 9,40,45,38,357,44mag,30 carbine,223,308,30-06,30-30. I love the press and service from Dillon its the best by far. the only trouble I have from it is when my wife see's the 4000.00 dollar invoices from powder valley. I thought I had hid them until she said what are these papers for. boy was I busted. she said REALLY 8000.00 for bullets. I said No that was for primers and powder also. Wrong answer. Hide the invoices!!

Back
Top Bottom