• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I have a family that has never eaten squirrel. How do you fix it so they like it?

testdepth

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
51   0
Reaction score
I love hunting but my family including myself have never eaten squirrel. Spending more time in the woods hunting tree rats sounds like a good time and something I could take my kids too. What recipe or how do you prepare the squirrel so newbies would come back for more instead of turning their noses up? How do you convert them?

Thanks

JD

I would suggest first do not refer to them as tree rats. I mean thats what they are but I can only imagine that would discourage themf from trying them

I make it fun. My wife and I love cooking, and to me squirrel is just another kind of meat. Have fun with it. Throw it on the grill or in a pan with what they like best. I make all sorts of stuff with it. Teriyaki sauce does good, so does dales seasoning as well as worcestershire sauce. I treat it just like I would steak or chicken or pork. Have fun and let us know how it works out.

I quarter them, put them in a pot and boil them for a couple of minutes, Then turn down the heat and simmer them until they are tender. Then take them out and cool them before dipping in milk, coating in seasoned all purpose flour and frying them up.

Roasted or fried like chicken with your favorite seasoning/batter and if you fry make gravy from the pan drippings.
Great with hot biscuits, local produced honey and "real" butter.

Don't let them eat anything but spam and sli jims for a month then serve squirrel any way you want. No complaints garaunteed!

When in doubt, fry it. I have BBQed them also and they were good, but frying is just how squirrel is supposed to be cooked, served with mashed taters / gravy, corn, and early peas.

Nick T

Frying is always good but you can also put it in crock pot and cook it and then put the meat in "squirrel and dumplings". that is what my mom used to do and we liked it.

Back
Top Bottom