• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I have a family that has never eaten squirrel. How do you fix it so they like it?

Fried, and properly side dished.....

i371.photobucket.com_albums_oo151_crowcommander_lunch.jpg

BBQed.......

i371.photobucket.com_albums_oo151_crowcommander_BBQ.jpg

Either way, ya really can't go wrong.

Nick T

That plate with the potatoes and corn look really good!! Are those only the back legs? Is that all that is worth eating on a squirrel?

I have to ask this for my wife. She was told that cooking squirrel in the house will smell it up and drive you out, is this true?

That plate with the potatoes and corn look really good!! Are those only the back legs? Is that all that is worth eating on a squirrel?

I have to ask this for my wife. She was told that cooking squirrel in the house will smell it up and drive you out, is this true?

No problems with any bad smells when I cook'em, bad smell comes later. ;)

Those are both front and rear legs, probably 90% of eatable meat on a squirrel is there. Some cook the back but there just isn't enough there to fool with. Sharp knife, cut the legs off, fold the skin inside-out, cut off feet and skin all in one cut, done.

Nick T

I like'um fried, squirrel dumplins and BBQ'ed. The wife fix's them in tater soup some times, boil the whole squirrels till meat is done and can be pulled off the bone then cut the meat into bite size pieces. Make a big pot of tater soup (lots of butter and black pepper) and when the tater soup is done add the squirrel meat, fix you a pone of cornbread and a cold glass of milk and your ready ......Dangit! I gotta go get some squirrels outta the freezer! Enjoy.

Last edited:
Alright boys you aint eaten nothing until you have eaten squirrel brains and eggs in the morning before the early morning squirrel hunt--throw some taters and home made biscuit and butter with maple syurp---make ya want to slap your momma

Ya'll all are makin me hungry. But Largo wins the "country boy" prize.
(Makes me miss my Grandpa.)

I do squirrel bredded and browned, then put in a dutch oven with onion, garlic, OJ, dijon mustard and Worchestesire. Simmer, Simmer, Simmer & serve over rice.

Last edited:
Alright boys you aint eaten nothing until you have eaten squirrel brains and eggs in the morning before the early morning squirrel hunt--throw some taters and home made biscuit and butter with maple syurp---make ya want to slap your momma

Sorry, I've heard of eatin brains from several old timers and I just can't bring myself to eat it myself, plus if I do my job right the brain pan is empty as a .22 done vented it.

Nick T

add tony's cajun seasoning , then wrap in bacon and throw on the grill med heat and let slow cook for about 30 min or so. REAl good. Or make squirrel and dumplings. or fried in skillet with red-eye gravy and bisquits. the grill is my fav though

Back
Top Bottom