I have a question about the law and firearms...

150   0
Reaction score
So my little brother is 20 years old now and as expected he is just into firearms as much as me. But not being 21 and not having a license, he cannot carry obviously. My question is though can he keep his glock in his car? because I recently heard a story (idk if true or not) about one of his friends who (is 20 also) recently had firearms charges against him because the cop found his glock in his trunk and said since he didn't have papers for the gun they had to take him to the big house and slap some charges on him. So does anyone have any insight on this situation by chance?

Thanks!

tell him to leave it at home until 21. best advice.

it wasnt because he didnt have "papers" on the gun. betting it was loaded.

law wise, i believe he can only have firearms in the car if on the way to hunt/range. and they have to be unloaded, pistol and ammo/mags all in seperate compartments.

Car is extension of you home, you can have a legal weapon in there(I mean legal by the owner not being a felon, and it not being a illegal, unregistered II, or III). Your brother's friend isn't telling the whole story. You can have a loaded gun in your trunk without a permit, even if you're 20. Law goes that you can't purchase a handgun from a DEALER until 21, but can be in possession at 18. Either the cop was unaware of this, and the DA will drop the charges, or the gun was stolen, etc.

Car is extension of you home, you can have a legal weapon in there(I mean legal by the owner not being a felon, and it not being a illegal, unregistered II, or III). Your brother's friend isn't telling the whole story. You can have a loaded gun in your trunk without a permit, even if you're 20. Law goes that you can't purchase a handgun from a DEALER until 21, but can be in possession at 18. Either the cop was unaware of this, and the DA will drop the charges, or the gun was stolen, etc.
Bingo!!!

^^^^^THIS, ...though I normally wouldn't trust a feller with that kind of f'ed up avi, :hand:

Carrying Weapons

Short Version
Basically, to carry a long gun you do not have to have a license to carry as long as you are not prohibited from owning a firearm. To carry a handgun openly or concealed in the state of Georgia (other than on your property or inside your home, car, or your place of business), you must have a Georgia Weapons Carry License (or the older Georgia Firearm License) issued under code 16-11-129. To carry a knife designed for offense with a blade over 5 inches you must have a Georgia Weapons Carry License (or the older Georgia Firearm License) issued under code 16-11-129. There are exceptions, read below to find out what those are.

Long Version
Weapons Carry: You are not allowed to carry a weapon (as defined at the top of this page) without having a weapons carry license unless you fit one of the exceptions below (this is in general, there are some places off-limits to carry even with a Weapons Carry License):

If you are not prohibited by law from possessing (see the definition under the "Possession" section at the top of this page) a firearm you may carry a weapon on your own property and in your own home, motor vehicle and place of business without needing a valid weapons carry license. (including the property that the business is located on IF the property is owned by the business owner). You do not have to have permission from the business owner in order to be exempt from carrying a concealed weapon without a license at your place of business (however that does NOT mean you cannot be fired for carrying without permission. If you cross any property in transit between your property, car or office then you would be in violation of the law.
If you are not prohibited by law from possessing a firearm you may carry a long gun without needing a valid weapons carry license. However if it is loaded, you must carry the long gun in an open and fully exposed manner (this exemption is odd, a long gun is not defined as a weapon so I am not sure what law you would be breaking if you did carry a loaded long gun concealed).
If you are not prohibited by law from possessing a firearm you may carry a handgun provided it is unloaded and enclosed inside a case (There is nothing that defines exactly what unloaded means, to be on the safe side you should assume it means no loaded magazine inserted into the gun).
If you are not ineligible for a license to carry, you can carry in any private passenger motorized vehicle, provided that the owner (or other legal representative of the property) has not forbid possession of weapons or long guns on the property (the difference between this and the first one is that you can carry in someone else's car provided you could get a GWL and they do not forbid you possessing it in their car).
If you have a valid hunting or fishing license or do not legally have to have one, you can carry a handgun or long gun while you are actively engaged in hunting, fishing or sport shooting with permission from the owner of the land you are on.
If you have a license to carry from a state that honors the Georgia Weapons Carry License, as long as you are not a resident of Georgia and you follow Georgia laws while you are here (a map of states that honor the Georgia license is here).
From GA Packing:

His car is an extension of his house, he may have it in there legally as he is not prohibited from owning a handgun. This DOES NOT mean that an officer will know this, not bashing any leos, but as this is a "fringe" law an officer may not know the exact laws associated with him having it.

Back
Top Bottom