• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I have a question..

lilred06

Default rank <4000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
116   0
Reaction score
all this talk about "SHTF clubs" and "survival groups" got me thinking. you hear people talk a lot about survival groups getting together and training for SHTF situations and whatnot..so what classifies as good training for a SHTF situation? Not really anymore to that, just what exactly is good training? I guess what I'm asking is, there are so many different things, experiences, situations that one could be in during said "SHTF", so how does one train for these different confrontations?

I know nothing about SHTF clubs, groups etc.... I can only imagine 20 rednecks during a real crisis all pointing their guns at each other fighting over leadership, rations and women....oh and Jim Beam... Not for me, I will be in my basement in my home yelling at my kids...lol

"IF" this really ever happens, then you can just kiss it goodbye.
Its gonna either going to be a quick flash and then instant inceneration, or, your just going to see it coming and cannot run to escape.
SO, do what I'm going to do....and be with the one's you love for as long as you can, and give the incoming doom the finger!!

SHTF and I'm not bugging out. I'm bugging in. I've got a listeroid genset I'm working on to power the house. Have a number of vehicles around that will run on anything flammable. (oil, kerosene, gasoline, exc.) I just need to stock up a bit more on food and medical supplies.

I highly prefer professional training for the ultra serious stuff like small unit and urban tactics, and I'd really like to learn long range shooting as more of a hobby thing. Wilderness survival is a must have for me and my children. We've gone to classes on food canning and dehydration techniques, and will be taking one this weekend on how to grind grains and beans and use them in baking/cooking.

For "shared training", I think it's great to have someone with expertise show what they know in a small group setting. Like:
1. Firebuilding for cooking
2. Emergency first aid
3. Land navigation
4. Animal tracking
5. How to build small game traps and snares and fish traps/run lines
6. Camoflauge/concealment (kids and adults would love that - how to hide and do it quickly!)
7. Ideas for bartering
8. Building temporary overnight shelters
9. Archery basics (fun stuff)
10 Wilderness survival techniques
11. Cleaning/cooking small game (you'd be surprised how many people don't know how to do this)
12. Proper gun cleaning and knife care/sharpening techniques
13. Cold weather camping techniques
14. Building a survival kit that will actually work and is not filled with items worth $0.25 items.
15. Building a bugout bag
16 Secure comms
17. Securing a home
18. Effective food storage
19. Obtaining and trading precious metals (people are now accepting 90% silver for some trades).
20 Guidelines for setting up a prepper group.

Note - all of the above are good basic skills to have just for the fun of it anyway. Except of #20 - a bit more targeted.

Those are just a few ideas. I'd like real experts to lead these. I can do the food storage one if anyone is interested and set up a good location on the North or North West side of Atlanta for that if needed. Will post a seperate thread on this if there is interest.

Last edited:
lol. Sounds like my life.

Me too... for a real global SHTF event, I'm at home as long as I can be. For a local SHTF, such as crazy weather, I'll just go stay with my brother in TN :)

OH, FYI, my inlaws are also in TN but I would rather be sitting in a duck blind in 100 degree weather somewhere lost in the woods, waiting for the zombies, with 20 armed fellow ODTers drinking Jack than staying with my in-laws (if my wife is reading this... just kidding sweety :))

Last edited:
it reminds me of when I used to sell safety gear. if you can tell me exactly how you are going to crash I can build you the perfect helmet/suit/protective device. but unless you can tell me how it's going to happen, it's all just a cr@p shoot. :)

but yes the basic skills are good to have. first aid, travel, food and water, and shelter.

It would have to be a really, really bad SHTF event for me to leave my home. I've used Google Maps to look at a lot of the areas people talk about in their evacuation plans....the majority of them are miles and miles from a golf course.

Back
Top Bottom