• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I just ordered an upgrade to my internet from 1 gig to 5 gig fiber..............

I got an ad from AT&T stating I could get 5Gb/S fiber. Went to order, plugged in my address, all they had was LAME-O 25Mb/S. Pathetic, much slower than the current service. I'd love to have fiber again, I had it in western states and it was awesome!

The thing about wifi is it is 1 or 5 gig at the modem but once it travels the airwaves it'll drop from 1gig to 400 MBs at a computer. The only true way is to hook directly to the modem but I have 10+ devices in my house. So I'm hoping it will be 5 gig down to 1.5 gig throughout the house. We shall see though. The installer will be here the 12th.

Get you an 802.11ax router. They will get the higher speeds to your devices. Wifi 6 is pretty good. I think it's around 9 gig. Wifi 7 when done should be over 30gig.

The thing about wifi is it is 1 or 5 gig at the modem but once it travels the airwaves it'll drop from 1gig to 400 MBs at a computer. The only true way is to hook directly to the modem but I have 10+ devices in my house. So I'm hoping it will be 5 gig down to 1.5 gig throughout the house. We shall see though. The installer will be here the 12th.
WiFi can deliver 1.2Gig from one device to one device (5Ghz) but if you have multiple devices on one wireless access point, that bandwidth gets divided. You'd have to have several channels in use to deliver 1Gig per device.
I have Comcrap 1.5Gig. Over wireless I was able to get about 600Mb/s. Wired (1G ethernet), I clocked 980Mb/s.
I built a firewall using a 2.5G card to the modem and two 1Gig cards to the switch paired using LACP. The firewall clocked 1.3Gb/s. That's probably the best I can really expect.

WiFi can deliver 1.2Gig from one device to one device (5Ghz) but if you have multiple devices on one wireless access point, that bandwidth gets divided. You'd have to have several channels in use to deliver 1Gig per device.
I have Comcrap 1.5Gig. Over wireless I was able to get about 600Mb/s. Wired (1G ethernet), I clocked 980Mb/s.
I built a firewall using a 2.5G card to the modem and two 1Gig cards to the switch paired using LACP. The firewall clocked 1.3Gb/s. That's probably the best I can really expect.
ok... gotcha ...............Just had to go with a new phone due to flip phone not compatible with new s**t.
Me trying to make a phone call or text on this thing is a sight to behold ................

I’m in the boondocks and can only get 25mbps service. I rarely ever buffer even if I use 3 smart TV’s (all streaming different channels) a laptop and four smartphones all at the same time…what are y’all operating that requires twenty times that speed?

9FAD3C5F-9D8C-41F9-B30E-FF7693572668.jpeg

I’m in the boondocks and can only get 25mbps service. I rarely ever buffer even if I use 3 smart TV’s (all streaming different channels) a laptop and four smartphones all at the same time…what are y’all operating that requires twenty times that speed?

View attachment 4270424
4 computers, 2 PS5s, XBOX X, XBOX 1, XBOX 360, 2 PS4s, 3 phones, a PS3, one tablet, and a printer fax scanner that uses the wifi.

Back
Top Bottom