• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

I miss the 70's.

I liked the M80's in the mail box
Didn't those get reclassified to destructive devices?:rolleyes: We always lived in town when I was growing up. Most of my friends and neighbors ha dirt bikes and go carts. So I asked my folks for one for Christmas. They said "We live in town. So how would you use a go cart?" Probably that same year they bought me a blued Ruger Single Six." WTF?! And the year after that I got a 10/22.

We lived next to Southwest High School. There was a power line running between Eisenhower Parkway and Williamson Road which were busy roads in Macon. Just beyond that was some woods and real swampy area that still hasn't been developed to this day. So to me and my buddy from the neighborhood that was the woods. So we took both Rugers back there and shot hundreds of rounds more than once and nobody said anything about it. But one day we thought it would be cool to bring his 20 gauge single barrel. When we came out of the woods I could see Macon PD cars at both ends of the power line. And lots of cops in blue tripping through the vines and thorns headed our way. All I can say is the way it is today they would've sent SWAT after us and probably shot two pre teens walking out into the clearing with three guns. But back then all we got was a ride home and a lecture about discharging inside the city limits. And I still remember a black cop handing a handgun and a rifle back to a white kid (me) at maybe 12 or 13. Then they just left and didn't even make a report about it. That would NEVER happen now!

Times have changed. Most of the things I did were at my Grannie's up in Athens Tennessee. I grew up in the Roswell area before it was expensive. Back when 92 was a 2 lane from 400 to 75

Was in Roswell when Mansell Rd was a one lane gravel road,gravel road and vacant land where Northpoint mall is

I don't remember any gravel roads but I do remember them building Northpoint mall. I have heard story's about shollowford road being gravel.

Last edited:
Was in Roswell when Mansell Rd was a one lane gravel road,gravel road and vacant land where Northpoint mall is
Well you know the age of the enclosed shopping mall is gone. And what baffles me is that in several places they have tried to replace indoor malls with these fake ass downtown type settings with sidewalks and even street signs. So you have to go out of one store into whatever kind of weather. Then you have to watch for traffic to get to other stores.WTF?! We had that way back before the malls and folks decided they liked the nice climate controlled indoor malls better. So all the downtown shopping areas died. Now they want to replace the dying malls with fake versions of the areas the malls killed.
In 95 the Macon Mall opened a big new addition with two more anchor stores and two levels. It was very nice. But they tore that newer part down completely about 3 or 4 years ago. They left the original part that opened in 1975. And if you grew up shopping or just hanging out in there like I did it just seems pitiful when you go there now. But it's the same way at Southlake and Lenox. So I guess the point here is that eventually I think these malls will revert back to green space once the cities involved get tired of looking at big empty retail blight.

Well you know the age of the enclosed shopping mall is gone. And what baffles me is that in several places they have tried to replace indoor malls with these fake ass downtown type settings with sidewalks and even street signs. So you have to go out of one store into whatever kind of weather. Then you have to watch for traffic to get to other stores.WTF?! We had that way back before the malls and folks decided they liked the nice climate controlled indoor malls better. So all the downtown shopping areas died. Now they want to replace the dying malls with fake versions of the areas the malls killed.
In 95 the Macon Mall opened a big new addition with two more anchor stores and two levels. It was very nice. But they tore that newer part down completely about 3 or 4 years ago. They left the original part that opened in 1975. And if you grew up shopping or just hanging out in there like I did it just seems pitiful when you go there now. But it's the same way at Southlake and Lenox. So I guess the point here is that eventually I think these malls will revert back to green space once the cities involved get tired of looking at big empty retail blight.

Slowly going the way of the Buffalo. It seems like everything goes in cycles. The things that were cool when I was a kid then weren't cool when I got older. I now see my kids wanting the same things.

Back
Top Bottom