• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I need some advice on a youth .22

Tmills

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
1   0
Reaction score
Okay guys, I'm new and was hoping y'all could help a brother out. I'm looking to buy a youth model .22lr and I've been looking specifically at the T/C Hot Shot, Henry Mini-bolt, Savage Rascal and a Chipmunk/Crickett. I was hoping anyone having experience with any of these could tell me how they perform and possibly where I might find a good deal on one? Thanks.

I got my chipmunk when I was 4 and still have it. Great first .22 in my opinion and turned into a light gun for coon hunting later on. Still shoot it every once in a while. Since its older i don't know how it compares to the newer ones sold at Walmart.

I just bought a Cricket for my daughters this past weekend for 109 at walmart. We shot about 30 colibris in the backyard this weekend and it performed fine.

If but the savage over the cricket,I feel it's a better made gun and more value

This. I have twin 5yr olds. Bought them both a savage rascal for Christmas. Awesome little rifles. The big advantage to me over the other youth bolt actions is that it functions like an actual full size bolt action. Once you chamber a round it is ready to be fired. No pulling the bolt back after a round is chambered. They can do everything themselves which was what my sons wanted and the whole point of having a miniature rifle. There is also a feed ramp again making it easier for the kids to load. Open bolt, place round in feed ramp, close bolt, move safety to fire and shoot. Very well made imho. I think Academy carries them for around $150. Good luck.

TIMMY!!! I could sell u a rebuilt marlin 60, shoots great. $1,000,000. (Tmills is my buddy and I just bought it from him and rebuilt it). I agree with the other posts, bolt over breech BUT breech comes apart for ur BOB. Good luck buddy

Last edited:
Bought my younging a cricket. Its rough and the trigger will be too heavy for a couple years to come. I'd look elsewhere

Thanks for the input guys. John, I'd love to take you up on your offer but I'm not looking for an autoloader, ha! I'll check into that Rossi. So, nobody has any input on that little Hot Shot? Really, so far asaesthetics I like it the best but really performance is what's important.

Back
Top Bottom