• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I need some advice on a youth .22

I got my son a Remington Model 5 that was imported from Zastava in Serbia. It is a small rifle, but is made to the same standards as adult rifles. It has high polish blue and is freakishly accurate. I killed a bobcat with it a few years ago in Texas. The only problem is that the magazines are hard to find. It's a little magazine fed bolt action that feels expensive, but I bought mine for $150 at a pawn shop. See if you can find one, you won't be sorry.

I bought an Anshutz youth model for my kids when they were young. It is the same action as the olympic competition models with a shorter stock and barrel. I could shoot the whole 7 round magazine into a hole you could cover with a dime at 100 yards. It was certainly accurate. :laser: I paid $185 for it in 1987 and sold it 10 years later for $250. I wish I had kept it for my grandchildren. :frusty:

As I was training my kids, even though the rifle had a 7 round magazine, I only allowed them to load one round at a time. My son's first shot at a spray paint can reminded me of how intelligent that choice was!! He hit the can; blue paint and flying can all over the place!! Then, while holding the rifle level at waist height, he turned toward me and excitedly exclaimed, "Look what I did!". My answer was to point at the muzzle (which was pointed at me) :fear:. and say, "Look what you are doing!" :nono: I was very grateful that I had the foresight to only load one round. After about five minutes, his eyes returned to their regular size. :eek2: A very serious lesson learned!:clap2:

He is now 30 years old, a sergeant in the U.S. Army 25th Infantry Division :usa: and to my knowledge has never had a breach in firearm safety since that day 25 years ago!!

Proud as hell of him!! :usa2:

Back
Top Bottom