• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

I thought it was a doe...

mr.bearclaw

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
13   0
Reaction score
So yeah, I have been hunting with iron sights on my 30-30. Yesterday evening I saw this deer about 45 yards in the woods and started tasting back straps so I popped it; thinking it was a good sized doe. When I walked up on it I realized what I did, and then looked at the other side and was a little relieved. So I got meat!!!

i62.tinypic.com_10wsgec.jpg

with that little bone it would be hard to tell without a scope, and a scope may not of helped

a lot of folks have misconceptions about spikes
studies have shown that a spike can grow some nice antlers, it all depends on diet & genetics

but this one with the bad antler I don't know, may have done yourself a favor before he had time to breed

worst thing I can think of is you lost a Buck space on your harvest record

I grew up in Columbus, Dad retired at Benning in 1962
I used to hunt the reservation a lot, out the old Buena Vista Rd and 10th Armored Division Rd

Last edited:
Things have changed on Benning this year, it's all QDM. I did not hear a shot all weekend in an area that is not open that often and full of deer. I saw 2, a button head and a doe. Folks scared to shot, 30 day suspension for an illegal buck.

I felt the same the other night. Huge body, little light in the woods and when I got down there it was a buck. Small rack. I felt even better after I took it to meat processor and they commented on big the body was with such a small rack. Mine was probably a 3-4 year old deer. Antler were no wider then it's ears in the upright position.

Things have changed on Benning this year, it's all QDM. I did not hear a shot all weekend in an area that is not open that often and full of deer. I saw 2, a button head and a doe. Folks scared to shot, 30 day suspension for an illegal buck.

I dont understand why it shouldn't be QDM. If people want trophy bucks then it is a more scientific approach that will yield better results. Shoot a doe for the freezer.

All these people shooting 2 year old bucks are just a shame to me.

Back
Top Bottom