• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

I thought it was a doe...

Good deer to get out of the breeding pool. He would have most likely breed a doe this year and passed along his genes. This type of deer only hurts trying to get a QDM herd walking around.

I dont understand why it shouldn't be QDM. If people want trophy bucks then it is a more scientific approach that will yield better results. Shoot a doe for the freezer.

All these people shooting 2 year old bucks are just a shame to me.

I respectfully disagree. First of all guys should be allowed to shoot whatever they want, and especially kids. I do not shoot young bucks, but at this point I believe I would over a doe. Why GA hunters are given 10 doe tags is beyond me. Statewide the doe populations are dwindling. Seeing as many or more young bucks than does is not good. A doe can only breed once at a time, one buck can breed with 5-10 does, easily. At this point and time the state needs to cut down on the doe tags drastically. I saw a big doe Saturday morning, every bit of 130 pounds, and I let her walk. Saw two more that evening and they got a pass too. I hope they survive the season and have plenty of fawns, and I hope the fawns survive. But don't get me wrong, I still believe you should shoot whatever you want. I'm only saying I have seen a drastic decrease in the doe populations in the past couple of years and plenty of hunters statewide are saying the exact same thing.

Good eating buck. Nothing wrong with taking him at all. Great job with the iron sights. Congrats!

I respectfully disagree. First of all guys should be allowed to shoot whatever they want, and especially kids. I do not shoot young bucks, but at this point I believe I would over a doe. Why GA hunters are given 10 doe tags is beyond me. Statewide the doe populations are dwindling. Seeing as many or more young bucks than does is not good. A doe can only breed once at a time, one buck can breed with 5-10 does, easily. At this point and time the state needs to cut down on the doe tags drastically. I saw a big doe Saturday morning, every bit of 130 pounds, and I let her walk. Saw two more that evening and they got a pass too. I hope they survive the season and have plenty of fawns, and I hope the fawns survive. But don't get me wrong, I still believe you should shoot whatever you want. I'm only saying I have seen a drastic decrease in the doe populations in the past couple of years and plenty of hunters statewide are saying the exact same thing.

Good eating buck. Nothing wrong with taking him at all. Great job with the iron sights. Congrats!

it's nothing to see 10-20 doe in my neck of the woods on any given day.

Tons of doe up here which is why the rut is pretty much non existent because the bucks don't have to chase does.....they just look over and pick one.

I'm sitting in the stand right now and seeing as I've got no deer meat left from last season I'm going to practice iibid.

if it's brown it's down. Don't get a lot of time to hunt so I'll take what I can get so long as there are no spots.

it's nothing to see 10-20 doe in my neck of the woods on any given day.

Tons of doe up here which is why the rut is pretty much non existent because the bucks don't have to chase does.....they just look over and pick one.

We once had the same "problem" you have but those days are gone. And I hunt 3 different counties and all in completely different parts of the state from the other. There are still pockets out there with an abundance of does, but statewide there is no doubt the populations are down.

The area I hunt has some big bodied bucks and that can actually be a little bit of a problem. I've unintentionally killed two button bucks over the years because I thought they were mature does. I've even done a double thinking I had two mature does, but one was a button that was as big as the doe. I'm trying to be very careful about this now and last year it cost me at least one opportunity. Three deer, none with antlers. It was fairly obvious that it was a doe and two yearlings, but one of the yearlings was as big as the doe (had to have been a button) and I couldn't tell which was the doe and which was the button, so I didn't shoot at all.

The area I hunt has some big bodied bucks and that can actually be a little bit of a problem. I've unintentionally killed two button bucks over the years because I thought they were mature does. I've even done a double thinking I had two mature does, but one was a button that was as big as the doe. I'm trying to be very careful about this now and last year it cost me at least one opportunity. Three deer, none with antlers. It was fairly obvious that it was a doe and two yearlings, but one of the yearlings was as big as the doe (had to have been a button) and I couldn't tell which was the doe and which was the button, so I didn't shoot at all.

This is what Bear44 usually does. Kills 3 from the tree stand and kills 2 more walking around helping my dumb@$$.

Back
Top Bottom