• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I went to the range today with my daughter

rockyfatcat

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
31   0
Reaction score
626584AE-2C0C-4EA5-A28A-5412E87C19D0.jpeg
I had bought her a couple of revolvers and she has a carry permit. But she would not carry and had never fired either. The first is a S&W 642CT for Christmas. The other is NAA mini with folding grip. I gave it to her the year before that.

Unexpectedly today she asked me to go to the range with her. She will not go by herself. And the range even has ladies shoot free on Wednesday.

I said sure and I figured I had time before she would be ready. So I slapped together an AR with a 7.62x39 10” barrel. The tax stamp arrived last year and I never actually got around to firing it. This barrel was a CDNN upper that cost $199

I accomplished all three. She shot both of her revolvers and I shot my SBR for the first time. I recently Bought a collapsible stock to shoot it because they don’t allow ar pistols at this range.

Things went well. I will need to replace the trigger spring with one of the heavy duty ones. Out of 40 rounds I had 8 light strikes on Brown Bear ammo.

My daughter was thrilled with her NAA and I am sure that she will start carrying it. With each weapon she demanded that I shoot it first. Each time I picked up the weapon and fired it one time and handed it back to her.

The 642CT shoots fine but the trigger is a little too hard for her to pull and the recoil is not what she likes about my 6” 686. I guess I will have to clean up the trigger on it. She only fired a half box of Tula range ammo. Mostly because of the recoil.

And no my daughter refused to fire my rifle period.

Maybe next time. I suppose I should have my lower engraved before I take that puppy out next time. I did have a copy of my stamp with me at the range.

Mine was the same way at first with handguns..22 now and just hand it to her! She loves all rifles and she's a small thing. The faster they shoot the better she likes them.

Well done, Dad. If she's recoil sensitive, the Shield 380 EZ is a puppy-dog, although it may be larger than she's willing to carry since she's new to it. Worth a rent though, if you have a range that rents it. 642 can be unpleasant even for some gun guys. Also might be worth a chat to see if there's something driving her new interest in learning her guns & carrying, FWIW. Congrats on a good day at the range with your girl!

LOL... so a 'pistol' with a 10" barrel is a no-go, but an SBR with a 10" barrel is OK?

I swear some ranges make up the most amazing idiocies...

Great about your daughter though. Small steps with someone new to guns. Always make sure she enjoys it and in a few years she'll have taken over all your guns as 'hers'.

Back
Top Bottom