• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ideal Home Defense Carbine?

GAgunLAWbooklet

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
63   0
Reaction score
What's the ideal home defense carbine (or shotgun, if you want to go that route) for the masses of casual gun owners or newbies who ONLY want a home defense weapon, but want more accuracy and point-ability than a handgun gives them? They want something that is easy to learn to use, satisfying to take to the range for practice, but effective in a home defense scenario. And it can't cost an arm and a leg. This isn't for somebody who wants to shoot small groups across a bench rest, and it's not for hunting, and it's not going to be used for the centerfire stages of the Appleseed shoot to hit man-sized targets at the "rifleman's quarter-mile."

I'm thinking an AR patterned carbine chambered for a pistol caliber, so that it will have less muzzle blast and flash.
SBR with a 12" barrel would be great, but due to cost and trouble of registering it, that's out.
An AR pistol with an "arm brace" that can be fired from the shoulder may be a good option for smaller-built people where the really short length-of-pull is not a problem for them.
For bigger folks with longer arms, I'm thinking an AR carbine in 9mm with a 14.5" barrel and a 1.5" permanently pinned-and-welded flash hider would be great.

Due to budget constraints, I think the sighting system would be an inexpensive red got optic, no magnification, but with a front sight that co-witnesses enough that even if the battery is dead or you forget to turn the optic on, you can just look through the body of the red dot optic and treat it like a giant peep sight and still get hits center-of-mass at 25 yards.

WHat do y'all think?

I kind of like the Marlin Camp 9 for that application.

Attachments

• IMG_0569.jpg
    IMG_0569.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 66
20140929_175510.jpg20140929_175306.jpgI like the TNW 45 ACP to avoid over penetration they are $624 at Country Folks store in Cumming in 9, 40 or 45 and all use Glock mags

Ideal would be a 6". 45 sbr suppressed.

Your limitations keep you from ideal. A good compromise would be a just right carbne in 45 and a glock 21 using same mags

My wife bought a Beretta CX4 9mm for like $550 or something like that then threw a Vortex Sparc red dot on it. That was like $150. She loves it. You can add rails to it to so if you want to had a straight or angled fore end grip or a flashlight, you can. I think any type of carbine chambered in a handgun round is perfect for home defense if you don't want to use a handgun. Especially 9mm. Keep in mind, anything you shoot indoors is going to sound pretty loud. But a 9mm carbine is WAY more quiet than most other options out there. For instance, good luck shooting an AR 223 indoors. That's my $0.02.

Back
Top Bottom