Ideas on type and choice of Kayak?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beerman

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
116   0
Reaction score
i will use this for ponds,small lake fishing and back country Florida fishing. Need info on types, brands, length etc. thanks in advance.

I have had an Ocean Prowler 14'
a Native hybrid 14'
and I now have a Jackson Big Tuna 14'

If you are going to be by yourself I cant recommend the Ocean Prowler enough. I LOVED THAT BOAT!!!!
The Native was more of a canoe than a kayak and I actually sunk it. It was shallow water thank goodness and I traded it for the Jackson a day or two later.
The Jackson is a great boat. You can use it as a tandem or solo. It has a built in live well and lots of storage. The main reason I got rid of the Ocean was my wife wanted to join me so I needed a tandem. You cant sink either the Ocean or the Jackson and they both track well. The Jackson is heavier but it's weight rating is greater. Depending on if you want to take someone with you or if you are going to be solo I would highly recommend either one of these. Oh I fish the Flint River and small ponds primarily but I have had them on several reservoirs and both did very well.

I've got a Jackson Big Tuna also and like it a lot. I chose it because my wife wanted to join my as well. I have several friends who have more experience than I do with these type kayaks and all of them ended up getting Old Town Predators. There are places that sell fishing kayaks in Hiram and Cave Springs and I'm told both have various brands and models you can actually try out in water. That is probably a good idea. An important factor in my selection was comfort rating. I didn't want anything that was going to give me cramps after 2 hours.

sit on top, and 12 foot or longer. best bet for fishing. and get the most expensive one you can afford lol. unlike most things, kayaks do get nicer with price.

All of the big box outdoor stores were having big sales on there boats. I think it is still going on. I bought 2 kayaks to play around on the Etowah River for my son and i. These aren't really to fish out of but they were only $120 each.
20150508_150737.jpg

Sit on top.comfortable seat.widest one you can find.and dont worry about a tandem cause nobody wants to ride with you.She says yes but she wont,get 2.I have had 2 and am looking again.OH yeah weight,cause you will be dragging it alone.I made a cart for mine

Tandems can be a good idea if they're set up to do solo; they're typically rated to haul more. Don't get a tandem with the notion that someone will go with you--biker13 is right. What needs to happen is each of you needs your own boat--this allows for you to actually visit with one another while you paddle. Tandems don't really facilitate that, because turning around and talking isn't usually a good idea for stability's sake.

The big box stores do have good prices on cheap boats right now, but you most def get what you pay for. Pelicans will get you there, but they are truly cheap boats; they are, however, a good way to test your commitment to the hobby.

A 12 foot sit on top, molded single piece (not clamshell two-piece like Pelican) is the best investment, if you're in this for the long haul. Wilderness Systems Tarpon are probably the best off-the-shelf fishing rig commonly available, but Jackson kayaks truly are the best. They are also priced that way. If a Kia will get you there and you're happy with it, there isn't much reason to invest in a Lincoln, unless you're going to be spending a lot of time riding. Then the Lincoln pans out in comfort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom