• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Identify S&W 4 screw

PKP_902

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
202   0
Reaction score
Can y’all help me identify this Smith and Wesson? I think it is a pre model 10, factory nickel with a 6 inch barrel. But I can’t find any others like it. It has a serrated trigger, and has an extra feature under the spur on the hammer. The front sight isn’t a half circle either, rather it has a serrated/angled face. This was passed down to me, and I wanted just a little background information.
AEEAA4C8-F1D1-4C2F-BC10-EEB808E81324.jpeg
CDEDC93A-E096-472F-A643-C12FC8401D6E.jpeg
5CE6C3B6-878B-4099-9C78-327D46B5128B.jpeg

Mister Heavy hand is spot on for the year.
Serial numbers: C 277555 through C 402923 were produced 1954-1956
One of the first things I would do is see if all the numbers match the pistol. The serial number can be found on the butt of the grip, which you have a picture. So check the cylinder face, the barrel flat and the yoke flat. Also, to determine if the gun is an original nickel model, it will have a "N" stamped on the left side of the grip frame under the grips. I have heard that they may be a few factory nickel Smiths without the "N" stamped on the grip frame, but I have not seen one.
I on the right side of the gun, I cannot see the 4 line address. If it is not there, then most likely the nickel finish is not original.
The serrated trigger came standard with the gun. The front site is considered a round blade front site. Now, the round blade was supposed to have ended in 1952 when the ramp front site was introduced. But S&W used every bit of stock they had before starting with the new sites. If your barrel flat serial number is the same as the grip frame, then you know S&W was still using parts they had in stock.
The grips are not original to the gun. The gun would have come with diamond walnut panel grips.
The model is officially know as .38 Military & Police (postwar), or as it is commonly known, the Pre-Model 10. Not an expert, and what do I know?

One of the first things I would do is see if all the numbers match the pistol. The serial number can be found on the butt of the grip, which you have a picture. So check the cylinder face, the barrel flat and the yoke flat. Also, to determine if the gun is an original nickel model, it will have a "N" stamped on the left side of the grip frame under the grips. I have heard that they may be a few factory nickel Smiths without the "N" stamped on the grip frame, but I have not seen one.
I on the right side of the gun, I cannot see the 4 line address. If it is not there, then most likely the nickel finish is not original.
The serrated trigger came standard with the gun. The front site is considered a round blade front site. Now, the round blade was supposed to have ended in 1952 when the ramp front site was introduced. But S&W used every bit of stock they had before starting with the new sites. If your barrel flat serial number is the same as the grip frame, then you know S&W was still using parts they had in stock.
The grips are not original to the gun. The gun would have come with diamond walnut panel grips.
The model is officially know as .38 Military & Police (postwar), or as it is commonly known, the Pre-Model 10. Not an expert, and what do I know?

What you know sir, is what I seek out when in need.

Thank you all for your depth of knowledge.

Pre 10 was made in 1954 or 1955. Your revolver is fitted with the speed hammer.

Is this an aftermarket item or factory S&W?

The serial number matches on the butt of the grip, under the barrel, and on the rear of the cylinder. However, the yoke and crane flats have numbers that match, but do not match the serial number.

I will check the grip frame tonight for the "N" and repost with better pictures. The 4 line address is very clear, again I will post better pictures tonight.

Are the diamond walnut panel grips short like the stag ones on there now or were they tall (up to the cylinder release)?

Does anyone know a gunsmith that specializes in S&W revolvers? The cylinder release is a little hard to press, but the rest of the actions parts work smoothly. I would love to shoot this gun once I get it cleaned up.

The serial number matches on the butt of the grip, under the barrel, and on the rear of the cylinder. However, the yoke and crane flats have numbers that match, but do not match the serial number.

I will check the grip frame tonight for the "N" and repost with better pictures. The 4 line address is very clear, again I will post better pictures tonight.

Are the diamond walnut panel grips short like the stag ones on there now or were they tall (up to the cylinder release)?

Does anyone know a gunsmith that specializes in S&W revolvers? The cylinder release is a little hard to press, but the rest of the actions parts work smoothly. I would love to shoot this gun once I get it cleaned up.

@.17 @MILSURP Collector @C.J. LaFrance y'all know anyone to recommend that works on S&W actions?

Hahaha.

MILSURP has a pre first revision 32 hand ejector I did an action job on, and i recently did an action job on a model 27 (I think) for .17. CJ also had felt the action on my Model 940.

If you are interested let me know. I am located in Statham GA

I would give her a complete disassembly and good cleaning. That may take care of your cylinder latch.

PKP_902, the numbers that you are looking at on the yoke are most likely assembly numbers. If the serial number on the butt of the grip matches the barrel flat serial number and the cylinder serial number, you have a really good chance of that being an original numbers matching Smith.
The thumb latch does attract grime, dust, oil, and just dirt over time, so I would believe a really good cleaning would clear up that issue completely.

The original grips would have looked similar to this picture.
daimond grips.jpg

Back
Top Bottom