• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Identify S&W 4 screw

Thanks JWC, I pulled the grips and found the N. I tried disassembly but the hammer won’t come off it’s post. I know I have to be gentle with the solvents because of the nickel, any suggestions?

ACBEABFC-048F-4386-A572-F6E98F0CE562.jpeg
41219A24-0289-4F9E-B503-4AEAAAD6217B.jpeg
C99AE12F-56CE-4488-BC49-07309365AF5D.jpeg
99A3D571-3CB8-4170-8846-A8BA35486005.jpeg

Pull the trigger back slightly so the face of the hammer clears the frame, then wiggle the hammer off the post. If you haven't figured it out by the time I get home tomorrow I will make a video showing you what I am talking about

PKP_902 congrats on your nickel Smith.
I do have a suggestion on what to use on your nickel finish. The product I use to clean my nickel Smiths is Prolix. Does a really good job of cleaning and will not harm the nickel finish.
Once you have it cleaned, I recommend using Flitz to polish out the nickel. Then once you have the finish polished out, use Renaissance Wax to protect the finish and aid in cleaning the next time.

Next, I believe your Smith to be a model M29-2, that can be verified by looking on the yoke for MOD 29-2. There are many on here would can help date the revolver, but they will need the serial number, or a part of it.

Mister Heavy hand is spot on for the year.
Serial numbers: C 277555 through C 402923 were produced 1954-1956
One of the first things I would do is see if all the numbers match the pistol. The serial number can be found on the butt of the grip, which you have a picture. So check the cylinder face, the barrel flat and the yoke flat. Also, to determine if the gun is an original nickel model, it will have a "N" stamped on the left side of the grip frame under the grips. I have heard that they may be a few factory nickel Smiths without the "N" stamped on the grip frame, but I have not seen one.
I on the right side of the gun, I cannot see the 4 line address. If it is not there, then most likely the nickel finish is not original.
The serrated trigger came standard with the gun. The front site is considered a round blade front site. Now, the round blade was supposed to have ended in 1952 when the ramp front site was introduced. But S&W used every bit of stock they had before starting with the new sites. If your barrel flat serial number is the same as the grip frame, then you know S&W was still using parts they had in stock.
The grips are not original to the gun. The gun would have come with diamond walnut panel grips.
The model is officially know as .38 Military & Police (postwar), or as it is commonly known, the Pre-Model 10. Not an expert, and what do I know?
There is a good chance that because the hammer and trigger are case harden that the pistol may truly be factory nickel finish.

Back
Top Bottom