If the STARS align a gunsmith here can help me

JDS556762

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
159   0
Reaction score
So I've got an old as sin but awesome BFPU looking STAR DK 380. It has the aluminum frame and the slide is marked STAR B E Cheverria Eibar-Espana S.A. CAL 9m/m - .380
I bought it used from a buddy I work with at LGS and he's had it for ever, his pops before him. Swore on it. Took it out for a test fire had a Failure to extract almost every other round, tried 6 different ammo types. Upon further inspection looked like the extra had a nice chip in it, makes sense. I buy it from him for hella cheap because there's something about it I love. With the intentions of fixing of course.

The weapon was also havin issues loading the first round. Mag feed lips appeared fine, there's no real ramping to be said and I thought while on my near impossible search for spare parts I'd get a new guide rod assembly and spring as well and another mag.
Parts for these are hard to find as is, not to mention they've been cloned and cloned again and again by Firearms Intl, Iver J, Firestar? STAR/ Starfire, colt, maybe more.
I did as much research as I could find for days trying not to purchase useless stuff, found the following:

Nickel slide comeplete with complete LPK pretty much gun without receiver on eBay marked EXACTLY like mine minus the (Starfire) on the right of the slide but says STAR and all that Spanish jargon on the other and looks identical. Got it for 30.00 pics below.
Ordered a STAR STARFIRE .380 triple K replacement mag (no pics) doesn't even feed RN FMJ and sticks out 1/16th" below the PG. witness holes are circular not an elongated vertical cut like original mag in pic.
I tried to swap the upper first, no go, the chrome slide is too tight and won't slide onto the rails by mm....maybe that aluminum frame DK haunting me, bet it would slide onto an old steel frame...tried the extractors, the replacement had a beefier spring and was cut almost identical but the retaining pin-hole wouldn't line up just by a bit, it's got some different dimensions and I don't have calipers on it but DAMN! So next, bbl seemed to swap and interchange as well as recoil rod assembly (score that's what I needed) and bbl bushing. Didn't dig any deeper into small parts. Too bad still need an extractor.
Hit ebay again and bought an OEM original star starfire .380 DK mag lol jeeze. Its enroute as we speak. I also purchased (getting expensive) a for real STAR starfire S.A. .380 blued slide, bbl, recoil assembly. To ether A. Steal the extractor and refinish the extra slide in something cool as a back up. Or B swap the whole upper together. And keep my original as back up with original finish.

Question (thank you for bearing with the length of post)

Is there a gunsmith on here familiar/interested in STAR series pistols and would like to receive my 3 zip lock bags of various parts and uppers and let me know which can interchange with my DK and which could be repurposed whilst also addressing the issues my actual DK is experiencing like FTF (HPs and FN I know it's a .380 but maybe) and for sure the FTEs swapping my extractors from my parts or tig welding and filing down my chipped one? Thanks!
IMG_4997.JPG
IMG_4998.JPG
IMG_4999.JPG
IMG_5001.JPG
IMG_5002.JPG

Spare firing pin? Need confirmation from smith
IMG_5006.JPG

Subtle differences but the hammer plunger? Sticks out farther as well on the chromed STAR
IMG_5007.JPG

My chipped extractor
IMG_5003.JPG
IMG_5005.JPG

Lots of the Spanish guns are hand fitted, similar to older revolvers made in the US. While the parts look identical, they don't quite fit. Early Colt 1911s can be this way as well.

Don't now if you're anywhere near Marietta but if you are go to Deercreek...family business with old time gunsmith there and they have tons of old parts ....they are very friendly and helpful and can give you all the info you need.
If you are wanting to sell your collage of parts, you would probably come out better listing them on ebay for what you paid for them and waiting for buyer, there is always someone out there that needs them.

So I've got an old as sin but awesome BFPU looking STAR DK 380. It has the aluminum frame and the slide is marked STAR B E Cheverria Eibar-Espana S.A. CAL 9m/m - .380
I bought it used from a buddy I work with at LGS and he's had it for ever, his pops before him. Swore on it. Took it out for a test fire had a Failure to extract almost every other round, tried 6 different ammo types. Upon further inspection looked like the extra had a nice chip in it, makes sense. I buy it from him for hella cheap because there's something about it I love. With the intentions of fixing of course.

The weapon was also havin issues loading the first round. Mag feed lips appeared fine, there's no real ramping to be said and I thought while on my near impossible search for spare parts I'd get a new guide rod assembly and spring as well and another mag.
Parts for these are hard to find as is, not to mention they've been cloned and cloned again and again by Firearms Intl, Iver J, Firestar? STAR/ Starfire, colt, maybe more.
I did as much research as I could find for days trying not to purchase useless stuff, found the following:

Nickel slide comeplete with complete LPK pretty much gun without receiver on eBay marked EXACTLY like mine minus the (Starfire) on the right of the slide but says STAR and all that Spanish jargon on the other and looks identical. Got it for 30.00 pics below.
Ordered a STAR STARFIRE .380 triple K replacement mag (no pics) doesn't even feed RN FMJ and sticks out 1/16th" below the PG. witness holes are circular not an elongated vertical cut like original mag in pic.
I tried to swap the upper first, no go, the chrome slide is too tight and won't slide onto the rails by mm....maybe that aluminum frame DK haunting me, bet it would slide onto an old steel frame...tried the extractors, the replacement had a beefier spring and was cut almost identical but the retaining pin-hole wouldn't line up just by a bit, it's got some different dimensions and I don't have calipers on it but DAMN! So next, bbl seemed to swap and interchange as well as recoil rod assembly (score that's what I needed) and bbl bushing. Didn't dig any deeper into small parts. Too bad still need an extractor.
Hit ebay again and bought an OEM original star starfire .380 DK mag lol jeeze. Its enroute as we speak. I also purchased (getting expensive) a for real STAR starfire S.A. .380 blued slide, bbl, recoil assembly. To ether A. Steal the extractor and refinish the extra slide in something cool as a back up. Or B swap the whole upper together. And keep my original as back up with original finish.

Question (thank you for bearing with the length of post)

Is there a gunsmith on here familiar/interested in STAR series pistols and would like to receive my 3 zip lock bags of various parts and uppers and let me know which can interchange with my DK and which could be repurposed whilst also addressing the issues my actual DK is experiencing like FTF (HPs and FN I know it's a .380 but maybe) and for sure the FTEs swapping my extractors from my parts or tig welding and filing down my chipped one? Thanks! View attachment 1129215View attachment 1129216View attachment 1129217View attachment 1129218View attachment 1129219
Theres a guy at ARO who worked on a llama for me once. He seemed knowledgable about all the clones and clones of clones.

Don't now if you're anywhere near Marietta but if you are go to Deercreek...family business with old time gunsmith there and they have tons of old parts ....they are very friendly and helpful and can give you all the info you need.
If you are wanting to sell your collage of parts, you would probably come out better listing them on ebay for what you paid for them and waiting for buyer, there is always someone out there that needs them.
I'm real close to Marietta. I'd love to make contact with him if possible. I wouldn't mind falling into an old star steel frame and just building the entire thing with the lot of matching "chrome" plated parts I have. Cerakote it and try and get it running too. Money would be counter productive but hey what's a hobby if you don't do something odd here or there. I'd definitely be interested in at least paying for consultation time as well as the work stated above. PM me if you believe he'd be interested and thanks!

What he said ! They've fixed some weird stuff for a friend over the years.

Back
Top Bottom