• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

If you could own 3 RIFLE calibers…

Actually, I'm not a hunter these days.
I use rifles for target shooting, and I'd like to have a defensive / homeland security rifle.
So for me, personally, at this time, I'd pick these 3 calibers.

.22LR for cheap-ish target shooting out to 100 yds.
.223 For 100-600 yard shooting, and a different gun, or different upper, in .223 for defense.
.357 lever action rifle, just 'cuz I like them. And not just for hunting, though it would be OK for that. And as a companion for my .357 revolvers.

thinking of a survival type situation

.22 LR in a CZ452 with a can, for small game and quiet sniping This would be #1 for me. You can take everything from ground squirrels to deer sized animals with a well placed shot.

30.06 in a M77 Ruger with the wide range of bullet weights available in different loads, it would be good out to 500 yards or so, and on about any animal you run across in the US. If I couldn't get a 30.06, then .308

5.56. in a nice AR package with either night vision or IR optics because ammo is plentiful, lots of other users that you might be able to scrounge some ammo from ( trade wise or otherwise) and it is accurate and deadly on deer sized animals

Let's face it, is the SHTF, there will only be a limited number of calibers manufactured. I'd bet it will be 9mm, 5.56 NATO and 7.62 NATO. That's why I pretty much only have things chambered in those calibers. All great rounds as evidenced by the number of enemy combatants no longer combating after being hit with them. Where will you buy or encounter a 30-30 round if and when the SHTF? I bet I know where we can always find the afore mentions rounds.

I will assume SHTF and what cha got is what cha got. No ammo available. No mags available etc. Bug out scenario.
That being said :
22 LR probably a Charger vs long barrel rifle with all the 10 or 15 rounders I can grab.
223/5.56 with scope and open sights back up just in case it gets banged
3006 cuz I have a saw can full of SST ready to grab and go.

Where would I go?? Not telling. But there is Water / Shelter / Food and like minded neighbors.

From what I have now:
  1. 22 LR (CZ 452)
  2. 7.62x39 (CZ 527 Carbine)
  3. 280 (Winchester Model 54 Frankenrifle)
Not answering based on zombie apocalypse contingency.

Back
Top Bottom