• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ignore Thread Option

Effective decay takes time and I choose not to put my blinders on every day when I get out of bed.
Why a bed, which is in a heated/cooled house? Why not out under the stars in the wild? Because it is convenient? Just wondering...

Last edited:
Sheesh, can't a guy make a simple suggestion that doesn't hurt anyone? Drama permeates this board. CCW, I think you could have made your point without being condescending.

I don't think he's being condescending. Just my opinion. I could be wrong, perhaps the intent is to be condescending?? Sometimes condescension may be required to get someone to actually think a bit about their position. It's hard to get people to change their minds about something they already "believe". Right?

Last edited:
These words are where my point derives from. Nothing is wrong with general productive efficiency, but as a society we depend too much on easier & more convenient, hence my original post in this thread. Effective decay takes time and I choose not to put my blinders on every day when I get out of bed.

Ok, you have completely lost me on this. The complete history of man has been about making life more convenient and easier. I'm having an hard time remembering inventions or improvements that provide us with less convenience or ease. The Wheel? Spoken language? Agriculture? Writing? Money? Gunpowder? Electricity? Penicillin? The Transistor? -- Nope Hmm... help me here. :confused:

Would staying hunter-gatherers been the ultimate in "self discipline"? (I am assuming you do not grow all your own food.)

(ps. -- Oh wait, I've got one! Computer Forums!)

It's hard to get people to change their minds about something they already "believe". Right?

Well, he may not have intended to be condescending, but the tone was pretty harsh. This is his first post:

"So you are essentially wanting to cater to the demise of self discipline?" He could have easily said - "I think a little self discpline is not a bad thing, I would rather not have the ignore button."

I don't know, maybe he's having a bad day. If I didn't know CCW is a man, I totally would blame it on PMS.:moony:

Regarding your second point - we're on a public forum - best to respect each other's rights than to change each other's minds. I debated on a couple of issues by mistake, people's minds are made up and trying to change them (even if you do it nicely) only creates drama. I gave up, sticking to guns.

Last edited:
I am still trying to figure out how you can tell "tone" in a chat forum. I dont remember seeing , " looking down my nose harshly at you" in italics anywhere in his post. Maybe if you took it as harsh you need to check the image in the mirror. More people need to thicken up the skin and learn to take a little constructive critisism. IMHO.

These words are where my point derives from. Nothing is wrong with general productive efficiency, but as a society we depend too much on easier & more convenient, hence my original post in this thread. Effective decay takes time and I choose not to put my blinders on every day when I get out of bed.

I bolded what I consider the important part in your statement. When we come to depend on the easy method, then we may be advancing at the cost of losing our prior knowledge and abilities. That, I agree, is a downside in many cases (though not all). I don't see how making looking for something more convenient, however, would contribute to such a decline. Reorganizing my garage so I can quickly find the tools I want, without having to look behind the belt grinder I never touch, is not a bad thing. I think, perhaps, you may be over-dramatically approaching a problem you see in society in general and applying it where it may not really fit.

Does asking for a change that could make the forum more efficient and pleasurable compare to things such as failing to teach children writing skills or letting them use calculators before they've mastered basic math? Depending on a calculator to do math is a far cry from enjoying the convenience of not seeing the same thread about a given AK in the "most recent" section for days. I find absolutely nothing wrong with doing things solely because it makes something easier or convenient. If the easier or convenient way results in society being dependent upon it, instead of just happy with it's convenience, then I would agree that it could be a problem.

Though I think such a discussion as this is better left to it's own thread, in general discussion or the boiler room so that is all I'll say in here on the matter.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom