• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I'm back...

Gone for two months and you **********s didnt even miss me...

I lost my wife nearly three years ago. Our plan was to buy an RV and see the USA. A dual bucket list as it were.
To honor her memory I imparted on the USA tour around April 15th.

I bought a 21 RBS on April 5th and about two weeks later began my journey from North Georgia.
First stop was the NRA Whittington Center in Raton, NM. If you love shooting this is your place.
I packed 5 pistols, 14 rifles of various type and caliber.
Favorite range was silhouette shooting the Browning 1885 in 45-70.
This place is a must see..................

Everything from trap, skeet, clays, small bore, big bore, black powder, practical range, you name it they have a range for it.
Stayed for a week and shot probably 5000 rounds. Beautiful scenery, deer, antelope, bear were all over. Extremely clean with
a very helpful staff.

On to the South side of the Grand Canyon. I stayed two days. What can I say or do but wonder about creation and awe at
the visual results.

Over and through Colorado stopped and saw friends in Greely. Weed is way too expensive there. Beautiful but have been there many, many times and
I wanted to get back to Wyoming. I'm also into genealogy, I have a branch of the family that moved from Western PA
to Themopolis WY during the depression so I stopped in Thermopolis and looked around. Again the visuals were outstanding
I can see why those relatives loved the area. On to Yellowstone with mini stops on the way. Cody WY was first with the
Buffalo Bill Center, Irma Hotel/Restaurant. The city of Cody a cowboy mecca. Great tourist trap stores. But set aside
two days to visit the Buffalo Bill Center you dont want to miss anything. Bought a raffle ticket for a Ruger. It was sponsered by
and benefited the Class of 2014 Cody HS... Yes a high school raffled off a gun...

Next up a week in Yellowstone. I seemed to be a week early the East entrance wasnt open until the 8th of May. I drove
up into Montana and came in through the North entrance. Glad I did the the camp grounds I stayed at was 1/4 mile from the Yellowstone
gate. Buffalo, Elk, Deer everywhere. One bear did cross our path but I wasn't quick enough with the camera. My traveling companion
a 28 lb French Bulldog (Bella) definitely saw the bear. Once more creation sights amazed me. Geysers, mud pots, hot springs you
need 3-5 days to see it all. I have to go back some day as a few areas were still closed to the public. Snow fall kept a few roads
impassable. All the more reason to go back. Sadly we left Yellowstone.

The area around Little Big Horn had a genuine solemn feeling. I had an images of a hill where Custer and his troop fought to the
end. When I looked around and saw tombstones scattered everywhere it became apparent to me the battle was from all sides
and chaos was the order of the day. On a side note again with the genealogy George Armstrong Custer was my second cousin
four times removed.

The Devils Tower is our next visit. I loved "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" We parked at the KOA with the Tower directly in front of us.
They play the movie during summer months. We stayed a day in the area. Wish I were younger to handle hiking and climbing around there.

We drove to Mt Rushmore. A patriotic feeling and also an wonder of how they could possibly carve this beautiful sight out of a mountain.
The area is full of wildlife, tons of "Kodak Moments" Driving around the Black Hills National Forest, Custer State Park, Crazyhorse mountain.
will give your camera a true workout. Speaking of which I opened a Facebook account to post the many snap shots. I say snap shots
because I'm no photographer nor do I have a very good camera.

We then went to Wall Drug for a day. Nice breakfast, some souvenirs, 5 cent coffee. A nice visit and we are off to the Badlands for two days.
Nature is full of wonders and the Badlands are tops on my list. As I was driving through the area I could just see bands of Indians chasing
bison, or more to my childhood the Lone Ranger and Tonto, chasing the bad guys through the ravines, and canyons. I hate to keep using the
same word but it is a beautiful area.

Next stop, Washington Iowa to visit my sister and niece. What can I say about Iowa.... ? Flat, corn, pigs, rain... that about covers it.

A stop at the KOA Richmond, IN. Cold and wet nasty rain. One night and I'm now at my sons farm in Western PA. Near Pittsburgh and my
hometown of Dunbar, PA. Planning a couple week stay to visit all the family. Especially my 2 Grand Daughters. Maybe a short camping trip
in the new 21RBS for Memorial Day weekend.

Next up, Gettysburg, Antietam, Fredericksburg, Petersburg, VA. and now Georgia.

So far the 21RBS, it has been a dream to tow, and not many problems. I have decided on a few mods and upgrades. The aluminum
floor was a killer at low temps in the Rockies. I was worried my bare feet would freeze to it. I'm thinking of rubber tile flooring
in a cherry wood design. A better shower head, a clock on the wall somewhere, better storage plans.

I would have preferred "drawers" to open cabinetry. Anything it the cabinets just roll around and become a giant mess while driving and hitting
WV potholes. Drawers and closed shelves would be great. Rigging for the road was much like rigging for rough seas in the submarine service.
If it isnt tied down it becomes a missile.

Some stats:

Total miles 8104
Gas 787.6 gallons average 10.3 MPG tow rig RAM 1500 HEMI 3.92 rear gears.
Average gas cost 3.41 @ gallon
Highest gas by state PA $ 3.87 Lowest WY $3.16
Travel through 23 states.
Best meal Irma Hotel in Cody, WY "Prime Rib Buffet" Worse was a BBQ dive that I cant remember the name in Texas.
Best campground KOA in Hill City, SD
Best Free camp site Cabelas Rapid City SD
Would I do it again? Yes if I had a traveling companion other then my dog. More fun with others to enjoy the sights and someone to take pictures
I'm a horrible photographer. However, I would repeat a few individual sights. Like Yellowstone and the Whittington Center.
What would I do different? I left on April 16, 2014 I'd delay that by maybe 2-3 weeks. It was still a bit cold especially in Yellowstone. I needed the floor covered there. It was cold.

Next trip is slightly closer and warmer. I plan a 2 week circle of Florida.

Shovel. Nice to see that you know how to keep dreams alive . Awesome !!!

Back
Top Bottom