• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I'm driving myself nuts trying to decide on a centerfire rifle can.

wtturn

Default rank <1000 posts Supporter
Frontiersman
34   0
Reaction score
Too many options and trying to find the perfect balance/compromise is driving me crazy.

My situation: I'm only in 5.56 right now, but down the road I may build a 6.8, .300 blackout, or similar. Also down the road I'll try my hand at the long range precision game. For versatility's sake, and budgetary constraints, I'd like to have one centerfire rifle can to do-it-all. But for right now, my primary host/use will be on 5.56 ARs.

Contenders:
1. Surefire Mini 762-BK @ $1089
2. SWR Specwar 762 @ $720
3. AAC 762SDN6 @ $879
4. Forget the 7.62 for now and go with one of the following 5.56 cans: SWR Specwar @ $550 / Liberty Torch QA @ $594

Specs:
1. 16oz and 6.25" (with 4.25" length added)
2. 24oz and 9"
3. 19.85oz. and 7.66" (with 6.1" added)
4. 19.5oz. and 7.2" /// 20oz. and 8" (with <6" length added)

Conundrum:
I know I'll give up some suppression with the Mini, but it's so darn light and short. Also very expensive.
Specwar is heavy and long, but excellent suppression.
SDN6 seems to strike a perfect balance of length and weight, but I have my concerns on the mount problems plus you give up a tad bit of suppression. I'd really like to know how the SDN6 meters against the Mini.
If I went with 5.56 I'd get perhaps better suppression in smaller/lighter package, but at the cost of ever using larger calibers.

Help me.

I finally decided on a .30 cal can... I can run it on my .308 and it is still pretty darn effective on .223. Let's face it, you're not going to make a supersonic .22 really quiet. .300BLK on the other hand can run a heavy bullet that leaves subsonic and still has decent energy. All that being said, I only shoot at cardboard and bowling pins. I don't think I can go back to that alley anymore.

I would be very surprised if the mini metered below the SDN6. But I would still pick it... Centerfire cans are loud period. For me, size, weight and mount are the most important.

Does someone have the Specwar762 in yet? I havent seen any available yet.

ETA the new SF mini is the SOCOM mini and will be a little more than the older Mini BK. I'm assuming you are getting those prices from silencershops website.

The Socom cans are awesome. I got the full size 762 from Quiet Riot. It is rated up to 300WM and the mount is rock solid. It is only like .8 inches longer than the SDN6 and is actually a half ounce lighter. The mini is nice as well I just chose sound reduction over length. QR will set you straight. He knows his stuff.

Back
Top Bottom