• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

IMHO Every shooter should own a reloading manual.

Fire4Effect

Default rank <500 posts
Survivalist
26   0
Reaction score
Another thread on the site got me thinking about this, but I really think if you are a serious shooter you should at least own one reloading manual. It is amazing the vast amounts of knowledge that can be attained from reading about reloading and consulting charts. I remember my friend being so proud of the fact that he got some 9mm subsonic ammo. I had to burst his bubble and let him know that any 9mm 147 gr ammo would be subsonic unless it's +P. I'm sure most of you have learned a lot more than you expected from reloading.

Marketing plays on perception not reality. Read three reloading manuals and get three different answers sometimes but it gives a overall idea of what is acceptable. Reading, has never harmed anyone and only served to enlighten those in need.

I recommend reading not just one but two or three reloading manuals and hopefully getting the overall objectives in order.

“Start with a good book. Read thru them to get a basic understanding of what you are getting into and learn the terms. Never use just one source. Read about a topic then find a few more articles on the topic."

“I was one of those people who "learn by doing", I am hard headed and don't like to read instructions. I have been reloading for 35 or so years and the only part of the manual I looked at was the load data for whatever ammo I was loading at the time. A few months ago, I bought a new Lyman #49 and I actually opened it up and started reading it. Then I bought a new Speer manual and I read that one, too. What a world of information was in that first 1/3 of those books. I wish I had done the reading 35 years ago, I would probably be better at reloading if I had. Listen to these folks and read, READ the manual before you start!! If you can't read, get someone to read it to you (I am not implying, at all, that you can't read).”

Last edited:
Good advise Ram, I have at least 6 reloading manuals and a lot of them say the same thing while others differ in certain areas. it never hurts to have a book in front of you that you can refer to. I used to rebuild a lot of diesel engines and sometimes someone would ask me what's the torque on a certain bolt and my answer is always . I don't keep nothing in my head that is and can be looked up in a book. look it up ! I Never rely on my memory. that is foolish and for reloading it is dangerous. if you are going to buy reloading equipment the first piece of equipment you should buy is a book or two. stay safe and read and use what is published, the internet is great but there is more knowledge in one book than there is on the internet ,on the internet you don't know who has or hasn't reloaded and what their results were. Good luck reloading and stay safe. I hope you enjoy it as most of us have.
Marketing plays on perception not reality. Read three reloading manuals and get three different answers sometimes but it gives a overall idea of what is acceptable. Reading, has never harmed anyone and only served to enlighten those in need.

I recommend reading not just one but two or three reloading manuals and hopefully getting the overall objectives in order.

been reloading since I was probably around 12. that would have been in 1960 or so.

I must have at least 20 manuals from over the years and have given away quite a few to others just starting out.

well worth the investment as a reference when I go to load a new rounds . internet sources are typically great especially Load Data, but I always verify them with at least 2 manuals

Back
Top Bottom