• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Informing an Officer that there is a weapon in the car during traffic stop.

JkEnder

Default rank <1500 posts
ODT Junkie!
14   0
Reaction score
Anyone know if there is a duty to inform? If not, do you tell the police if there is a weapon in your car? When and how? Also, would love to hear from LEO's on where you stand on it.

There is no duty to inform in GA. If they ask I'm not going to lie about it, but I'm not going to offer the information freely either.

If you got pulled over on the way back from playing ball with your kids and you had a baseball bat in the car, would you tell him about it? Same thing to me.

Been an LEO for 22 years, but haven't made a traffic stop in about three years or so. I never asked, and never felt disadvantaged by not knowing. Because a person is not required to answer any question, including whether or not they are armed, it seems pointless to me to even ask. As I stated in a previous thread, if I did see a weapons permit, I would ask if they were carrying thier weapon on them, because I was curious, but nothing more. I was always surprised at the amount of license holders that didn't have a weapon on them or even in their vehicle, and always encouraged every permit holder I came in contact with to carry, everyday and everwhere they legally could.

I don't volunteer the info as long as the stop remains in a form that wouldn't cause any alarm. If the LEO asked me to step out of my vehicle and I am carrying, I will immediately inform him I am legally armed. I have also notified LEOs I am legally armed when my weapon in not on me but visable from where they are standing, ie the center consol or drivers side door pocket.

Back
Top Bottom