• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Input from Dodge guys please

letusbuyyourcar

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
203   0
Reaction score
I'm thinking about buying a Dakota anywhere from about 01 until they we're disconnected around 2012. Hoping to find a base or close model with manual windows and locks, basically a work truck package in either regular cab or extended. I really don't want a 4 door truck. That costs you bed length.
Anyway I don't know much about the Dakota and it's engine/transmission options from year to year., I only know I don't want the 4 cylinder model. Nothing against it because I believe it's a good engine. But I need some towing capacity. So with that in mind what do you knowledgeable Dodge guys recommend?

I had a 2002 quad cab V8 and loved it, it had the 4.7L auto.
My dad had a 2001 quad cab V6 auto.
He could get 19-20 on the highway mine got 15-17.
My V8 was hell on brakes, I had to replace the front rotors every 20-25K. The 2003 or 04 models had bigger rotors and that problem was supposedly fixed.
I really like mine but if your worried about mileage a full size truck gets about the same mileage.
I was told that the trannys were terrible but I ran Amsoil in my engine and trans and never had an issue I had 210k on mine when I traded it in.

I'm a dodge man, but to be honest, you'd be better off getting a Ram after 03 or a Ford/Chevy fullsize. The Dakotas seemed to be hit or miss, with more misses than hits. The v6 is weak for towing, even with a manual. The 4.7 is a decent engine, but is bad about getting sludged up and going kablooey. I had an 05 Ram with the 4.7, single cab 2wd with towing package, and I thought I was going to kill it pulling a small travel trailer. Traded it with 95k on the clock when it started randomly wanting to die at red lights with no check engine lights or codes. The Ford and Chevy will be cheaper to work on too

i would like a clean first gen if you could find one. my friend had one
years ago regular cab automatic with a 318. i secretly coveted it
it would just haul ***

Back
Top Bottom