• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Installing a ledger board on hollow block wall.

Comanche

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
124   0
Reaction score
Anyone have a good trick for installing a ledger on a block wall?

Wall is not poured with concrete or ribar reinforced.
Not an ideal place to install a ledger for a lean to build using an existing exterior garage wall.

i was thinking the only way to really make it half safe is to tapcon the exterior ledger and tapcon and interior one in the same spot then run bolts and washers through them both to sandwich the block without tightening so much that it cracks the block.
Could also get a little overzealous and run some support boards under the exterior ledger to the paved driveway underneath for floor to ledger support.
I’ve attached ledgers to poured walls with proper anchors but never to a hollow block wall.

Any ideas?

I’m not considering epoxy or pouring walls.

Anyone have a good trick for installing a ledger on a block wall?

Wall is not poured with concrete or ribar reinforced.
Not an ideal place to install a ledger for a lean to build using an existing exterior garage wall.

i was thinking the only way to really make it half safe is to tapcon the exterior ledger and tapcon and interior one in the same spot then run bolts and washers through them both to sandwich the block without tightening so much that it cracks the block.
Could also get a little overzealous and run some support boards under the exterior ledger to the paved driveway underneath for floor to ledger support.
I’ve attached ledgers to poured walls with proper anchors but never to a hollow block wall.

Any ideas?

I’m not considering epoxy or pouring walls.

I've done something like this in the past, and I adopted your solution.

What I also did was carefully positioned the holes to be close to either the edge of the block, or near the reinforcing 'web' in the middle, so I could torque the bolts up good and tight and there would be some material rather than air right next to the bolt to handle the compression.

Lots of bigass washers to spread the load too.

I've done something like this in the past, and I adopted your solution.

What I also did was carefully positioned the holes to be close to either the edge of the block, or near the reinforcing 'web' in the middle, so I could torque the bolts up good and tight and there would be some material rather than air right next to the bolt to handle the compression.

Lots of bigass washers to spread the load too.
My thoughts exactly, thanks.

I’ve usd them on solid poured concrete but wouldn’t use them on hollow block.
Ive used them in all types of industrial application on hollow block without any problems. Where most people mess up is thinking you have to crank them down, just snug them up and youre good. I think the mfg spec is something like 15 foot pounds of torque.

On a lean-to a lot of your weight transfer will be lateral moreso than vertical.

Epoxy set all thread or minimum of 1/2” anchors in or near your vertical mortar joint and don’t forget to caulk the top edge of your ledger board against the block. You can also use a joist tape to wrap the top before you caulk. This will greatly prolong the ledger board life.

Back
Top Bottom