• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

INTRAstate shipping of guns/ammo via contract carrier

jsquared

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
43   0
Reaction score
So, I have always been under the impression that shipping a firearm or ammo via contract carrier to someone in your own state still required, per federal law, that you notify the carrier of the contents of the package. I got this mainly from the ATF's FAQ page that addresses this exact scenario:

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html#shipping-firearms-carrier

In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

After looking further into the statutes referenced, however, I think the ATF FAQ is incorrect. 18 USC 922(e) and the matching ATF federal regulation both state that a non-FFL that is shipping a firearm or ammo only has to notify the carrier if the shipment is going to a non-FFL in another state or a foreign country.

(e) It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to deliver or
cause to be delivered to any common or contract carrier for
transportation or shipment in interstate or foreign commerce, to
persons other than licensed importers, licensed manufacturers,
licensed dealers, or licensed collectors
, any package or other
container in which there is any firearm or ammunition without
written notice to the carrier that such firearm or ammunition is
being transported or shipped;

It was my understanding that this type of shipment would be illegal anyway in the case of a firearm. So, it seems that a non-licensed person CAN ship a firearm or ammo to someone in their same state without notifying the contract carrier of the contents, and all they would be doing is violating company policy of the carrier, not federal law. To back this up, I found the following letter from the ATF addressing this exact issue:

[Broken External Image]:

Thoughts? Would this be the same for both rifles and pistols? Im thinking so.

As was stated in another thread, shipping a gun can be pretty damn expensive these days depending on who you use and who is working the counter at that point in time. As much as I hate trying to knowingly get over on anyone or any business, this does bring up some interesting points.

Glad you posted this. I don't know how big of a project it would be but it would be nice to put up a Sticky outlining firearms and ammo shipping best practices. I really should have just thrown the question out there before my expensive lesson at Fedex and I feel like a real bone head for not doing so.

Dont feel bad man, like i said I just found out I may be mistaken also. It doesnt help that the ATF's own FAQ site is incorrect it seems.

Back
Top Bottom