• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Getting rid of majority of collection & ATF new rule

Before this rule the ATF could accuse you of running a unlicensed firearms business at any time they wanted for buying trading and selling guns.

After this rule the ATF can accuse you of running a unlicensed firearms business at any time they wanted for buying trading and selling guns.

Nothing has changed. It's political theater.
FTW!!!
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, copy & paste this in every other chicken little alphabet thread.
And THANK YOU!

Except the part about self defense firearms being excluded from the rule. Use your own best judgment about that.

Actually, it says that self defense firearms may not necessarily be considered part of your 'personal collection', which is one way to rebut the 'rebuttable presumption' that you are an unlicensed dealer.

That's an excellent point.
If nothing changed from the previous rule with this new one, then certainly the ATF wouldn't have spent their time coming up with over 600 pages of documents.
I think you're absolutely right... Most folks will have to plea deal since you can't fight the feds with unlimited legal funds.

They way they explain the need for the new rule is that the Bipartisan Safer Communities Act changed the definition of 'in the business' and they had to come up with a rule defining that change.

It's only 466 pages because they had to respond to every single comment, pro and con. The rule itself isn't all that much of the document, but it's also in the comments that all the 'interesting' stuff comes out.

To me the biggest thing the rule does is codify every stance the ATF has taken to win one of these cases since FOPA was passed and make them all 'official'.

For example, not being able to say that self-defense guns are part of a 'personal collection' came from a court case they cite, where the judge decided that not all guns were 'collectable'.

I forget the court but it wasn't SCOTUS, so you could easily argue it didn't apply if they hauled you in outside that particular courts jurisdiction. But that would be a different story with a finalized rule in place since it's now tied to Federal law.

Unfortunately. my eye is really worsening after the injury, and I also don't have time to shoot like I used to.
I've been contemplating reducing my collection that I collected since the '90s.

I don't want to part with my entire collection because I still enjoy shooting guns at my local club occasionally and enhancing their performance, etc.
With the new ATF rule, I don't know how to achieve the above without practically giving them away for free.

Is this new rule likely to take effect without any intervention?
What is the best course of action in my case to reduce my collection without any legal complication?
I agree with most, liquidating your collection should be fine. The way I see it, they may as well build a hundred thousand prisons and send half the country to prison with their mind set and get it over with. That's never going to happen, I'm just stating what they wish they could do because they think there's some utopia waiting for us all if we eliminate weapons from our society. But it's not feasible in the least because they don't hold all the power. But they sure are trying to rig it so they do lmao

My personal advice: Don't expect to get fair value for your guns around here. You won't unless it's some highly desired collectible. Go the GB route and use shipmygun service. I had to liquidate mine here and it was a bloodbath in losses. If I had a do over, I would have taken the time to find out about shipmygun two months sooner. There's still the problem of snail mail payment on Gunbroker, but they are FINALLY bringing back a pay service so people like us can accept credit/debit card purchases again.

I don't even know how you buy guns at retail and flip them for a profit. It's a bit silly of the government but maybe they are looking at other things besides that such as flippers making money. But when they change certain terms to fit alot more actions under one umbrella, it's harder to have the stance to 'don't worry bro, they arent coming for YOU' when they are clearly trying to include YOU in case they need to make an example out of somebody.

What I do know is, I probably won't be buying back my collection in the future. Not if ammo stays expensive. I love my guns but they are worthless without some bulk ammo to shoot them. A SAA for sure. Probably another beretta 92. Obviously a colt 1911. Still need that PS90. And possibly a high quality AK and AR in the $1500+ range. But after that I think my days of collecting one of everything is over. No more movie gun purchases, for example.

Back
Top Bottom