• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is it possible to convert a 30-06 barrel to 300 blackout?

flyingfrog509

Default rank <1500 posts Supporter
Nothing special here
160   1
Reaction score
So I'm just getting ready to do my first 300 blackout upper build for my AR-15 when I noticed my long lost and forgotten Savage 110 30-06 barrel laying in the top edge of my tool chest. Got me thinking...humm I wonder if this thing could be cut down and rechambered in 300 blackout? Does anyone know if that is even a possibility? Maybe this is an all time stupid question and the cost would far exceed just buying an aftermarket barrel. I already have a savage .223 rifle to put it on if it is possible.

I'm assuming enough threads can't be cut off to make the chamber short enough to rechamber to 300bo but I thought I'd ask as long as I'm slumming around tonight waiting for the ball to drop.

The short answer....it is cost prohibitive.

The long answer..... It is possible assuming there is enough barrel cylinder to support the new chamber. If so, the barrel can be "set back" by cutting out the old chamber. The barrel would then be threaded to fit a barrel extension. The barrel is then chambered for 300BO. Next step is cutting the barrel to length, muzzle work (threading, crown, etc.), fitting the gas block, cutting the gas port and installing the barrel extension.

A quality shop is going to charge you anywhere from $250 to $325 for the chambering alone.

Way cheaper to just buy an aftermarket barrel.

Cheers,

Mark

just buy a new barrel.
BUT, if you want a quote or real answer, give Que a call at Que's Bolt and Barrel works in Alabama.
He has done plenty of work for me on long range and target rifles and he does great work

Oh man I wasn't clear. For my AR-15 I bought a ballistic advantage 16" barrel w/pistol length gas system to try out and play with.

The old savage barrel I was thinking might be able to be cut down and re-chambered then put back on one of my Savage .223 bolt guns to play with. BUT I'm guessing unless I had the lathe, chamber reamer, finish reamer, enough skill to do it...sounds more expensive than a savage pre-chambered after market barrel.

Guess it is time to see if anyone wants a Savage small thread 30-06 barrel and just move on. Thanks guys.

Back
Top Bottom