• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is it worth getting a membership to the NRA?

Become a USCCA member. Insurance is MUCH better than NRA, tons of discounts, diverse training far beyond NRA, online training courses available, magazine is actually interesting (8 magazines vs 4 NRA magazines), no spam emails, and they actually fight for 2A rights in court and in practice. They have military & LE discounts as well.

AAA.jpg

I am a member, primarily because my range requires it.

I would probably still keep the membership even if the club didn't require it. I'm under the perhaps misguided notion that the NRA is the 'face' of the anti gun control movement. Perhaps a large membership base will convince some politicians to leave us alone.

I do remember one news story that led off with "NRA membership numbers are down, possibly signalling a move toward acceptance of more gun restrictions..." Right or wrong, decreasing NRA members could be read as fewer people concerned with gun rights.

I suppose that until GOA grows as large I'll keep donating to both. One for actual help and one for numbers.

NRA Life member... I ain't going to quit because I still have hope that this will get squared away at some point before I die, but they haven't gotten a dime from me in years.

That being said, unless there is a requirement (like some ranges have) to be an NRA member, there are much better places to join.

Number one with a bullet is the Second Amendment Foundation. They do more for 2A in an afternoon than almost any other group will do in a year. Primarily court/legal though, so it doesn't fill the gap left by the NRA on the legislative side.

After that I think Georgia Carry is the next best investment. They do as much as they can with our wimpy state legislatures.

Back on the national side Firearms Policy Coalition (FPC) is doing good work, but they took the same fundraising class the NRA did and bug the heck out of you with cheesy emails.

I've never been a big Gun Owners of America (GOA) fan... too much talk and almost no action, but they seem to be stepping up lately.

Probably a few other good ones, especially at the state level, but those are where I put my money these days.

You get a magazine you won’t read and 1000 dollar firearm insurance policy.

It does get you discounts at some places, but I have never looked where.

I am a life member but they will not see another penny from me or my recommendation for others to join so long as Wayne Lapierre is the CEO.
Agree with you on Wayne LaPuerre. I am a lifetime endowment member, and am ashamed he is still at the helm. Surely we have better and deserving people in our midst.

Back
Top Bottom