• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is NASCAR Dying?

I have been to the Daytona 500 every year since 1999 and was/is a big Nascar fan, but I just dont have any interest to watch the races anymore on tv. its absolutely boring.

In the early days of my Daytona trips it used to be wild and we would have such a good time, but the past 8-10 years its been so cookie cutter. Is not about our ages and us growing up, its the atmosphere around the tracks. its ALL ABOUT MONEY and its taken away from what made it great.

No one in the group I go with to the race has a favorite driver (5-10 folks). To me that says A LOT. Nascar has to fix the boring cars and the boring personalities, and the boring races. No one is going to follow the drivers of today like they did 20 years ago.

I have been to the Daytona 500 every year since 1999 and was/is a big Nascar fan, but I just dont have any interest to watch the races anymore on tv. its absolutely boring.

In the early days of my Daytona trips it used to be wild and we would have such a good time, but the past 8-10 years its been so cookie cutter. Is not about our ages and us growing up, its the atmosphere around the tracks. its ALL ABOUT MONEY and its taken away from what made it great.

No one in the group I go with to the race has a favorite driver (5-10 folks). To me that says A LOT. Nascar has to fix the boring cars and the boring personalities, and the boring races. No one is going to follow the drivers of today like they did 20 years ago.

They are better in person than on TV.... (If it doesn't rain.)

TV really screws it up too.... Has turned into about 20 mins of racing and 2 hours 40mins of commercials.

True! But the majority of profits go over sea's.

The profit is a drop in the bucket of the money involved. Profit is whats left after, building American factory's, paying American salaries, buying American materials, and all the other money they spend here running a massive corporation. Once they get the profit much of it is reinvested in you guessed it, more American factory's, paying the shareholders etc. That old "all the profits going back to Japan" is a myth. Want to buy Toyota stock go ahead, you too can share in the "profits"

If they didn't make the big 3 compete we'd all still be driving cars with the quality of the 71 Ford Pinto or the 82 Cadillac Cimarron for gosh sakes.

List of dirt track ovals in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Found this list of "Dirt Ovals" for anyone that's interested.

Georgia

Track Name Location Type Classes
441 Speedway Dublin 3/8 mile progressive banked clay oval Late Model, Super Street, Pure Stock, Bomber, Southern Outlaw Superstreet Series
Albany Motor Speedway Albany 1/4 mile semi-banked clay oval Late Model, Limited Sportsman, Pure Stock, Enduro, Mini Stock.
Boyd's Speedway Ringgold 1/4 mile banked dirt oval; 1/6 mile Kart track Limited Late Model, A-Hobby, B-Hobby, Pony Stock, Front Runners, Go-Karts)
Cochran Motor Speedway Cochran 1/2 mile banked clay oval Road Warrior, Cadet, Pure Stock, Sportsman, Late Model
Dixie Speedway Woodstock 3/8 mile banked clay oval Outlaw Sprint Cars, Monster Truck Nationals, Limited Late Models, Super Late Models, Crate Late Models, Bombers, Pony Stock, Lucas Oil Dirt Late Model Series, Demolition Derbies, *Cruisers*, and Thrill Shows
Golden Isles Speedway Waynesville 4/10 mile semi-banked clay oval Limited Late Model, Super Stock, Hobby Stock, E-Mod Modifieds, Powder Puff, Enduro, Spectator Races
Gordon Park Speedway Grovetown 4/10 mile high banked clay oval Limited Late Models, Super Street, Stock V-8, Four Cylinder, Road Warrior, Super and Crate Late Models, Outlaw Sprints, Big Block Modifieds, Vintage
Hartwell Speedway Hartwell 3/8 mile high banked clay oval Limited Late Model, Fastrak Late Model, Modified Street, Stock V8, Stock 4 Cylinders, Young Guns, Up Front.
Lavonia Speedway Lavonia 3/8 mile semi-banked clay oval O'Reilly Southern All-Stars, Fastrack Crate Late Models, Super Late Model, Limited Late Model, Crate Late Model, Hobby Stock, Street Stock, Enduro, 4-cylinder mini-stocks
Needmore Speedway Norman Park 3/8 mile banked dirt oval Late Models, Limiteds, Super Street, Hobby, Enduro, Old School Late Models, Southern Outlaw Superstreet Series Southern All-Stars Series
North Georgia Speedway Chatsworth 1/3 mile banked dirt oval O'Reilly Southern All-Stars, Super Late Model, Crate Late Model, Limited Late Model, Sportsman, Hobby, Pony Stock
Oglethorpe Speedway Park Pooler 5/8 mile semi banked clay oval Late Models, Street Stocks, Pure Stocks, 440, Mini Stock
Rome International Speedway Rome 1/2 mile clay oval Special Event track. Sister track of Dixie Speedway
Screven Motor Speedway Sylvania 3/8 mile clay oval Mini Sprints, Late Models, Winged Sprints World of Outlaws, Allstar Sprints, Florida Mini-Sprints, National Late Model Series, Renegades, Super Street, Stock V8, Mini Stock, Road Warrior
Senoia Raceway Senoia 3/8 mile high banked clay oval Bombers, Hobby Stocks, Mini Stock, Modified Mini Stock, B-Cadet, Late Model, USCS Sprint Cars, USCS 600 Mini Sprints
Swainsboro Raceway Swainsboro 3/8 mile semi-banked clay oval Road Warriors, Mini Stock, Pure Stock, Super Street, Crate Late Model, Part Time - Super Late Model, Sprint Cars
Toccoa Speedway Toccoa 5/16 mile high banked clay tri-oval Fastrack Crate Late Models, Super Late Model, Limited Late Model, Crate Late Model, Hobby, Modified Street, 4-cylinder, Rookie 4-cylinder & FWD
Waycross Motor Speedway Waycross 1/2 mile dirt oval Pure Stock, Super Street, Limited Sportsman, and Late Model
Winder Barrow Speedway Winder 1/4 mile clay oval Georgia Mini Sprints, Stock V8, Modified Street Stock, Limited Late Model, Hobby Stock, Modified 4 Cylinder, Stock 4 Cylinder
Thanks!

Reactions: BHJ
I try to enjoy it, but I just can't. When the cars stopped using factory sheetmetal , I started losing interest. I't like "Pro Wrestling" now. I started in the sport as an Elliott fan, don't really have a favorite, or even a driver I'm interested in now....

Nascar has had to change for many reasons. Safety being the most important one. But true "stock cars' have not raced since the early 60's. They were highly modified before reaching the track. But yes, I agree NASCAR has ruined the competition and stifled innovation by managing all aspects of the on track product.

Back
Top Bottom