• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Is reloading .223 worth it?

A primer pocket swager is very helpful!

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/235832/rcbs-primer-pocket-swager-combo-2

I have found that many non-military loads also have some primer crimping. I'm sure they are all loaded on the same machinery. Swaging the primer pockets will make it possible to get new primers to seat properly. If they don't get swaged or reamed, you will have lots of trouble.

Rifle reloading is where the equipment starts to save big bucks. You got started exactly the way I did. Learned your way around 9mm and 45ACP and then moved on to rifle stuff. The sace prep for rifles is more extensive-but it can be fun. I use this case trimmer-and it RULES!

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/21...mmer-kit-stainless-steel?cm_vc=ProductFinding

I bought mine without the mount or a case holder on ebay for $28. Does an awesome job!

I guess I wouldn't mind the extra time to reload rifle if I stretched out past 100, 200, 300yds often. Then it would be worth trying to work up my own loads and all. But just plinking at the range 35yds max is not all that motivating. However, since I have just about everything I need besides the dies and case prep stuff, I may just give it a shot for the challenge. I like someone's earlier suggestion to buy fully prepped brass so I can just prime and load.

I guess I wouldn't mind the extra time to reload rifle if I stretched out past 100, 200, 300yds often. Then it would be worth trying to work up my own loads and all. But just plinking at the range 35yds max is not all that motivating. However, since I have just about everything I need besides the dies and case prep stuff, I may just give it a shot for the challenge. I like someone's earlier suggestion to buy fully prepped brass so I can just prime and load.

Biggest thing about reloading for rifle is to be careful what rifle you are reloading for.

For a semi-auto, you need a bullet with a cannelure and some crimp. This will prevent setback (which is the bullet seating too deep) while chambering The Lee factory crimp dies work real well for that.

I have only reloaded a little .223, but I had good results and it was a pretty interesting process.

I did some figuring with actual, current prices for components. About $235/1000, not including the cases. So... cases cost $70-100 per thousand delivered. Use 'em once, and you're at about $300/1000. Wolf Gold is about $360 delivered, so $60 savings, for five hours or so of time. $12/hour....

But... reuse the cases, and save $125/1000-- $25/hour. That starts to make more sense (and it won't take five hours the second time, as you can skip the primer decrimping step).

If you're not going to shoot more than 1K a year, I wouldn't bother. Now... back during the panic last year when you couldn't get ammo at a sane price, then it made a lot of sense. Sure wouldn't hurt to set aside components when you get 'em on sale, to get you through the next panic.

Sadly, I've had to work up loads with three different powders, because powder supplies have been so erratic. It takes 3.5-ish lbs to load 1000 cases, so powder availability is key.

Depends on what you shoot. I personally found the best success with 77gr SMK's in my 1/7" AR's. Buying a production 77gr load will run around $1. Handloading to the same velocity costs me around $0.40.

Back
Top Bottom