• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is there a wild hog problem?

Some landowners have huge hog problems and just dont care. If they aren't huge deer hunters and dont count on farmers for income the chances of them allowing uninsured strangers with guns on their poverty are slim to none.

Some landowners have the land leased to out hunters and leased ALL the hunting rights out, including hogs and the guys who have the lease can sue if they catch folks hunting the hogs. Landowners generally dont like to be sued. Some landowners I know are not including hogs in the hunting lease now, just 'native' species, giving them the ability to deal with the hogs as they see fit. They still dont want uninsured hunters shooting buildings and equipment. Or worse.

We have quite a few property's we do hog control for, none 'pay' us to do the job. They just give us rights to bring paying customers. During periods I dont have customers and a landowner needs me out there , Ive asked and received gas money to cover expenses, but its a far shot from being 'paid'.. Its not going to pay the rent of even buy bullets, just gas and maybe pay the sitter.. Its rare tho, most of the time its on my own dime.

I belonged to a hunt club in Washington Co. between Milledgeville and Sandersville for 10 years. It started out as pretty good deer property but slowly and surely hogs moved in once they discovered our food plots. I've seen hogs charge deer right out of food plots. Hogs are a huge negative impart on nature. They eat everything they can get to including dead hogs. We killed many hogs but as time went on we saw fewer and fewer deer and more hogs. I had a hog charge me once on a foot trail. A male hog who was chasing a sow. Most were no more than 150 Lbs. and usually smaller but I killed one 80 pound hog that had 2 1/2" tusks. I left the club because the deer where gone and hogs ruined a good property right along the Oconee River, south of the kaolin mine. Hogs over-bread fast and they out eat all the other wild life. Hogs are smarter than a dog and they move around to where the food is. Farmers and land owners should welcome hunters but yeah everyone wants cash and then the potential liability thing can be an issue. Hogs are the Devils pet and need to be wiped out.

Please send me the contact info for that club.....

I call BS. Especially for farmers claiming they are over run by hogs. Just ask that same farmer to hunt his property, or look for a "Hog" lease . All you'll see is an out reached hand to be greased. If the problem is so bad they should be welcoming hunters. Look at the number of hog guides making money by signing up clients on both sides farmer pays for hog eradication, guide brings in paying hunters as well... Nothing against guides making a buck.. but come on if it's that bad the guides would be hiring sharpshooters... just my 2 pennies....

The few Guided Farm hunts I have been on, the farmer doesn't pay anything.... the money is made from the clients of the guides.... or the hunters.

Back
Top Bottom