• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Just finished 200 rnds of 300 RUM...

davis211

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
28   0
Reaction score
with help from 2 buddies-150 gr SST & 165 TTSX- 100 each. Gotta crank out some 300 WHBY soon. Anyone else trying to catch up for deer season?
IMG_5308.JPG

.300 RUM will go through that like a hot knife through butter. But dang, I loaded 100 back in 2013, and still have 25 left.

Course I shoot it less now... That I'm on my second barrel.

.300 RUM will go through that like a hot knife through butter.

Believe it or not, it's a real design, and it accommodates ballistic plates. Some guy up in Long Island made/makes them to protect dear against a federal cull that takes place on the east end of Long Island.

Believe it or not, it's a real design, and it accommodates ballistic plates. Some guy up in Long Island made/makes them to protect dear against a federal cull that takes place on the east end of Long Island.

Really? I figured Photoshop. What a waste of human effort.

After all, left to our own devices, they'd be pretty well extinct by now-- any deer he are saving are only there through previous human benevolence. Like cows and pigs. : )

(They effectively were extinct in Georgia-- front page news around WWI in North Georgia when someone saw one, no joke. 99% of the deer in Georgia are due to repopulation efforts after WWII.)

So, OP-- why are you loading the light bullets in the monster cartridge? Do you really need 3500-3600? Maybe you load light...

Heck, the RUM gets a 220 (240?) up to the same speed as a .308 gets a 147.

I get 3050, 26" barrel, with 210s.... And they work fine at 300 yards with little holdover. Kudu, gemsbok, zebra... big critters we don't have 'round here.

Though truthfully, I've shot most of the same species, much closer, with .375 H&H, and the animals were much more impressed by that. But no go in Namibia... you can't get close enough to use a .375 H&H, 'cuz you're in the wide-open with no cover. .300 RUM rules in Namibia. But I use much heavier bullets, to deal with the bigger animals. The RUM lets me get that 210 gr. slug out there without having to worry too carefully about range-- I know it's gonna be long, and sight in accordingly. The lighter bullets would eliminate the holdover concerns, but maybe not impressive enough on the critters. Oh, who am I kidding-- they'll still die, and you have a team of wildlife professionals to find it... it would work out fine. But my choice is a heavier bullet.

Kills deer pretty good though-- "TIIIMMMBBBBBEEERRR", as they fall over... has been my experience in Georgia with the RUM. Never had to track one, though I have only shot a handful with it.

Back
Top Bottom