• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Kahr CM45. ---2ND UPDATE: Just not reliable.

I just had an "interesting" conversation with Kahr technical support. First of all let me say that they are good about replacing the spring and it's being shipped today. Now for the not so good.

I was instantly blamed for the problem. He said that it was caused by incorrect reassembly of the pistol that bent the spring. This did not happen. I am 100% sure of that. Even more interesting was the fact that this person who "Has worked at Kahr for four years and works on these pistols every day" (his words) does not know what the spring does.

He was very insistent in saying that the purpose of the spring was to keep upward tension on the slide stop and even went so far as to say that if it did not the slide would not lock back after the last round in the mag was fired. I pointed out to him that this was not caused by this spring, but rather by the magazine itself. He agreed with that, but still said that without the additional pressure of the slide stop spring it would not work. I was polite and even gentle with him and tried to recommend he double check his facts. That's when I got the quoted line above. After that I said that we might not be talking about the same part. He cut me off and gave a correct description of the part and repeated he would send me another one. He was obviously done with the conversation and was persistent in his ignorance of the weapon he represents. I even said if that is the function of the spring, what mechanism keeps the stop from engaging the slide on every shot. He went back to quoting the first thing he said about incorrect reassembly. I wonder how many people have tried to explain this to him that he has ignored. He is also obviously full of crap about his four years of daily experience with the weapon.

Do you folks think I should contact Kahr management to let them know they have a dumbass working customer service in their technical support division?

I just had an "interesting" conversation with Kahr technical support. First of all let me say that they are good about replacing the spring and it's being shipped today. Now for the not so good.

I was instantly blamed for the problem. He said that it was caused by incorrect reassembly of the pistol that bent the spring. This did not happen. I am 100% sure of that. Even more interesting was the fact that this person who "Has worked at Kahr for four years and works on these pistols every day" (his words) does not know what the spring does.

He was very insistent in saying that the purpose of the spring was to keep upward tension on the slide stop and even went so far as to say that if it did not the slide would not lock back after the last round in the mag was fired. I pointed out to him that this was not caused by this spring, but rather by the magazine itself. He agreed with that, but still said that without the additional pressure of the slide stop spring it would not work. I was polite and even gentle with him and tried to recommend he double check his facts. That's when I got the quoted line above. After that I said that we might not be talking about the same part. He cut me off and gave a correct description of the part and repeated he would send me another one. He was obviously done with the conversation and was persistent in his ignorance of the weapon he represents. I even said if that is the function of the spring, what mechanism keeps the stop from engaging the slide on every shot. He went back to quoting the first thing he said about incorrect reassembly. I wonder how many people have tried to explain this to him that he has ignored. He is also obviously full of crap about his four years of daily experience with the weapon.

Do you folks think I should contact Kahr management to let them know they have a dumbass working customer service in their technical support division?

Short answer - YES

Just got off the phone with them. Decided to talk to them about the hand clearing issue I'm having. He gave me an RMA and is emailing a label and promised to modify it under warranty. Wow...Fedex label received within 2 minutes of telephone conversation. Sorry to hear that your rep was less than knowledgeable.

By the way, the problem I'm having with mine is clearing it by hand. The round will get caught between the ejector and the hood of the barrel/chamber at an angle and have to be forcibly removed. It's a bit scarey when the slide is locked open by the round and you have to beat on the cartridge to free it up. My PM40's have a bevel to the hood that prevents this from happening but my CM45 is square cut. See pics:

Kahr side by side3.jpg

Kahr side by side.jpg

Kahr side by side6.jpg

Kahr side by side5.jpg

BTW...I've avoided Hornady Crit Defs after having feed problems in my officer sized 1911's(damn rubber tip acts like a break on those steep feed ramps) but the rep I spoke to said they test fire with them. So, I'm going to try them in my CM45 when it gets back from Kahr.

I have an issue with my CW45 jamming/failure to feed. It is with GA Arms range ammo. I heard that the Kahr CS solution to this is to just fire more rounds to break the gun in so I haven't bothered to call. It sure does suck when a round is almost chambered and the slide is stuck. In case you are wondering, the gun will fire when the slide is 1/8" from forward.

That's an ammunition pickiness that seems to be common to both the cw and pm (don't know about the cm line yet but I expect so). The chamber tolerance is extremely tight in them and some 230 grain is slightly fatter than others.

I have an issue with my CW45 jamming/failure to feed. It is with GA Arms range ammo. I heard that the Kahr CS solution to this is to just fire more rounds to break the gun in so I haven't bothered to call. It sure does suck when a round is almost chambered and the slide is stuck. In case you are wondering, the gun will fire when the slide is 1/8" from forward.

So slightly out of battery with the extractor hook still attempting to ride over the rim....

I'd be curious just how many pounds of extractor tension is present. If it's over +5 lbs. I'd reduce it to close to 3 lbs. I'd also polish the extractor face where it contacts the rim of the round.

Reducing the extractor tension is too easy on these pistols. An inexpensive pin can be shortened. Bet money it fixes it..... And it operates smoother with that little hiccup of the extractor being forced over the rim at +7 lbs.

http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/212794-My-Kahr-won-t-run-or-do-I-need-reamed?highlight=kahr+.40

Just got off the phone with them. Decided to talk to them about the hand clearing issue I'm having. He gave me an RMA and is emailing a label and promised to modify it under warranty. Wow...Fedex label received within 2 minutes of telephone conversation. Sorry to hear that your rep was less than knowledgeable.

By the way, the problem I'm having with mine is clearing it by hand. The round will get caught between the ejector and the hood of the barrel/chamber at an angle and have to be forcibly removed. It's a bit scarey when the slide is locked open by the round and you have to beat on the cartridge to free it up. My PM40's have a bevel to the hood that prevents this from happening but my CM45 is square cut. See pics:

View attachment 313244

View attachment 313243

View attachment 313246

View attachment 313245

BTW...I've avoided Hornady Crit Defs after having feed problems in my officer sized 1911's(damn rubber tip acts like a break on those steep feed ramps) but the rep I spoke to said they test fire with them. So, I'm going to try them in my CM45 when it gets back from Kahr.
I actually have the same issue. I've only cleared a live round one time, but had to hold the slide back and push the round down the mag well. I was thinking it may have just been that round's OAL. I'll have to check and see if it's consistence. This weapon is running out of "shiny" pretty damned fast. I thought Kahr had a great reputation for a very good quality weapon. So far it seems we have at least two serious design flaws. WTH

View attachment 313244

View attachment 313243

View attachment 313246

View attachment 313245

I sent a cw380 off last wed, they got it thurs, and it arrived back at my door friday....runs fine now.

So slightly out of battery with the extractor hook still attempting to ride over the rim....

I'd be curious just how many pounds of extractor tension is present. If it's over +5 lbs. I'd reduce it to close to 3 lbs. I'd also polish the extractor face where it contacts the rim of the round.

Reducing the extractor tension is too easy on these pistols. An inexpensive pin can be shortened. Bet money it fixes it..... And it operates smoother with that little hiccup of the extractor being forced over the rim at +7 lbs.

http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/212794-My-Kahr-won-t-run-or-do-I-need-reamed?highlight=kahr+.40

Very interesting. In your post, it sounds like you could push the slide forward. When mine jams it will not push forward and is very hard to pull back. It's jammed, lol. I'll try a little experimenting like you did, but I think I'm going to put a couple hundred more rounds through it before I perform surgery in it.

Back
Top Bottom