• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Kahr CM45. ---2ND UPDATE: Just not reliable.

OK, I got the new spring in and....fail.

Before I got the new spring I tried one of the fixes I found on the internet. It was to simply tighten up the screw that holds the spring in place. This is not what is supposed to create tension on the spring, but it will shorten were the spring is anchored to the frame by pinching it into place. It works....for about 30 rounds. Then the spring will wear into the nylon frame and regain it's full range of movement, thus the issue reoccurs.

When I got the new spring I had high hopes because I could see that it is actually a slightly different design. When I started shooting, it ran like a Swiss watch with everything I was shooting. Then....the slide stop barely caught the slide on one round and locked it back. This happened after about 40 rounds fired. It quickly got progressively worse and I was right back to where I started within a few mags. About 20% failure.

I called Kahr and explained all of this to them. They are sending me a shipping label and said I should get the pistol back in three to four weeks. I had explained to the guy that once the screw was tightened it took about 30 to 50 rounds for the problem to show up. At the end of the conversation I reminded him that they would need to shoot the weapon enough to be sure the issue was fixed. He said they typically put three to five mags through it. I pointed out that was not enough. It's a five round mag and I had already told him it took more than that. He said I could put in a "request" for the techs to shoot it more. I got the feeling during the entire conversation that this guy had the attitude of me being nothing other than a pain in his ass. I think he's the same dick I spoke to last week. If this weapon does not function reliably when I get it back he's going to find out just how much of a pain in the ass I can be.

BTW, not a single word of apology was spoken about me having these problems with their product that I spent several hundred dollars to purchase.

I had problems with my pm45. Main problem was FTE but sometimes it would fail to load the new round which got stuck. Never had problem of any kind with my carry round (Federal HST) after several hundread rounds of it, but always had problems with the WWB and federal ball range ammo. Sent it back to them and it has been fine since they returned it about a year ago.

I had problems with my pm45. Main problem was FTE but sometimes it would fail to load the new round which got stuck. Never had problem of any kind with my carry round (Federal HST) after several hundread rounds of it, but always had problems with the WWB and federal ball range ammo. Sent it back to them and it has been fine since they returned it about a year ago.

I hope they can fix it, but unless they put some other kind of spring in it I just don't see it happening. I feel like this is a fundamental design flaw.

I sent mine in on their dime on Thursday 10/2 and it came back today(Wednesday 10/8) Six days turn around and it hand cycles perfectly.It was already shooting without error so I'm completely happy with it now.

I'm sorry you are still having problems. Hope they get it straitghtened out.

As a side note, I sent an email to customer support at Kahr and asked them if they had considered making a drop in barrel for the PM/CM40 in .357 Sig caliber or just coming out with a PM/CM357. Man would I love to have one of those. LOL.

Next I'm going to drop the same bug in Rugers ear regarding an SR357C on the SR49c frame/slide. :D

Not that anyone listens to me but.....

OK, I got the new spring in and....fail.

Before I got the new spring I tried one of the fixes I found on the internet. It was to simply tighten up the screw that holds the spring in place. This is not what is supposed to create tension on the spring, but it will shorten were the spring is anchored to the frame by pinching it into place. It works....for about 30 rounds. Then the spring will wear into the nylon frame and regain it's full range of movement, thus the issue reoccurs.

When I got the new spring I had high hopes because I could see that it is actually a slightly different design. When I started shooting, it ran like a Swiss watch with everything I was shooting. Then....the slide stop barely caught the slide on one round and locked it back. This happened after about 40 rounds fired. It quickly got progressively worse and I was right back to where I started within a few mags. About 20% failure.

I called Kahr and explained all of this to them. They are sending me a shipping label and said I should get the pistol back in three to four weeks. I had explained to the guy that once the screw was tightened it took about 30 to 50 rounds for the problem to show up. At the end of the conversation I reminded him that they would need to shoot the weapon enough to be sure the issue was fixed. He said they typically put three to five mags through it. I pointed out that was not enough. It's a five round mag and I had already told him it took more than that. He said I could put in a "request" for the techs to shoot it more. I got the feeling during the entire conversation that this guy had the attitude of me being nothing other than a pain in his ass. I think he's the same dick I spoke to last week. If this weapon does not function reliably when I get it back he's going to find out just how much of a pain in the ass I can be.

BTW, not a single word of apology was spoken about me having these problems with their product that I spent several hundred dollars to purchase.

Hey Bear - any update on this? Just wondering if Kahr ever got this one right.

Hey Bear - any update on this? Just wondering if Kahr ever got this one right.

I got it back from Kahr today. They were fast on the turn around. I just took my time sending it to them. This is what the work sheet says.

"Replaced slide stop screw. Reworked barrel hood. Lubed and tested good with 54 rounds."

Replaced the slide stop screw? We'll find out tomorrow if that is a permanent fix.

I got it back from Kahr today. They were fast on the turn around...

Replaced the slide stop screw? We'll find out tomorrow if that is a permanent fix.

Thanks for the info. I've recently had an opportunity to trade for a CM45, and given your review I wanted to wait for an outcome before I acquire one.

Well, whatever was wrong with it, they fixed it. I just put 115 rounds through it. Two hand, strong hand, weak hand, semi rapid fire, slow fire and five different kinds of ammo. It is flawless. It will even eject a live round through the ejection port now.

I would have no real complaint about this entire process if the customer service rep I dealt with hadn't been a dick.

Now the real reliability test starts. No cleaning for 500 rounds or failure, whichever comes first.

Well, whatever was wrong with it, they fixed it. I just put 115 rounds through it. Two hand, strong hand, weak hand, semi rapid fire, slow fire and five different kinds of ammo. It is flawless. It will even eject a live round through the ejection port now.

I would have no real complaint about this entire process if the customer service rep I dealt with hadn't been a dick.

Now the real reliability test starts. No cleaning for 500 rounds or failure, whichever comes first.

Glad to hear you got it fixed!

Back
Top Bottom