• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Key holing

Awesome info. It shoots fine with store bought, only have a few hundred rounds through it. Ranier says to use lead bullet data, and according to my Lee manual the starting load is 4.3 (699 fps) and max is 5.3. It also says 1.20", so I'll definitely be shortening the OAL and upping the charge a few grains. Thanks a ton guys!

NOT a few grains...a few 10ths of a grain! Good lord you'll put an eye out adding several grains!

Typically your charge on a lead bullet is going to be less than a jacketed one of the same weight due to the fact that the lead stages more easily down the barrel than a copper jacket. It takes less powder to move lead at the same speed than copper jacketed so necessarily, you'll need a beefier charge with jacketed bullets.
I believe he is talking about the Ranier Plated bullets. They are not full jacketed. I loaded some of them a while back and used lead data as they recommended without any issues. I believe they recommended starting with middle of the road lead data. You are correct though, just a thought on my end.

You actually beat me to it....when I read this I immediately thought it was an undercharged load, but had to go digging through my books to make sure. Never want to give out bad load data or advice.

Yeah...I went to the powder manufacturer's data before I confirmed anything. I never want to offer bad reloading advice...ever.

Awesome info. It shoots fine with store bought, only have a few hundred rounds through it. Ranier says to use lead bullet data, and according to my Lee manual the starting load is 4.3 (699 fps) and max is 5.3. It also says 1.20", so I'll definitely be shortening the OAL and upping the charge a few grains. Thanks a ton guys!

With copper-plated bullets, they are not lead, but they are not jacketed either. Loads somewhere in between the two seem to work well based on my experiences with plated .38 bullets. 699fps ain't gonna cut it with anything coated in copper...trust me. I have run Rainer bullets...and they really like the 800-850fps range for best accuracy. My buddy who loads a TON of 45ACP has confirmed that range as well. Anything much faster that 900 could start melting the copper plating - which will make a mess in the barrel. So I'd recommend finding a loading that should produce that velocity and I bet there will be zero keyholing.

OH...and please don't up it a couple of GRAINS...more like a few tenths of a grain!

Typically your charge on a lead bullet is going to be less than a jacketed one of the same weight due to the fact that the lead stages more easily down the barrel than a copper jacket. It takes less powder to move lead at the same speed than copper jacketed so necessarily, you'll need a beefier charge with jacketed bullets.

True statements here. But I will add that copper jacketed bullets can take much higher velocities than a lead bullet as well. Lead rounds don't like the high velocities of magnum rounds (like 357 Mags...which I shoot often). Let me revised that...lead can take the velocities, it just leaves a lot of residue in the barrel at higher velocities. So, if I am loading hot stuff...I stick to jacketed projectiles.

OH...plus the 850fps range puts you into major power factor for competitive shooting with a 200gr 45ACP. Just a silly little thought...couldn't resist. I will say 45's are fun to shoot at that power range as well...let's you know you're alive without actually hurting either.

My first move would be to measure those bullets. The only time I've had keyholing issues with pistol rounds at close range, the bullets were undersized for the barrel. I've not used plated swagged bullets, so it's pure conjecture on my part. Make sure they all measure .451" or .452, whatever spec is for those.

Here's one of my favorite references, from someone who is well respected in the reloading community:

http://www.reloadammo.com/

Note his comment about the dangers of mixing brass with small / large pistol primer pockets!!!

Given the data above, Chuck Dog's recommendation to measure your projectiles would seem to
be right on (as usual).

Good luck and let's us know how it works out.

Last edited:
You guys were right. I shortened the OAL to 1.20" and with 4.6 gr, 20% had minor keyholing. Upped the charge to 4.8 gr, same OAL, 0 keyholing. Also shot some Hornady LRN 230 gr with 4.8 gr, 1.20" and these had no keyholing. Problem solved thanks a ton! I might up the charge to 5.0 and see how I like that. I really need to buy a chrony.

Very good! A bullet tumbling at normal pistol distances is just something that I've not had much experience with. Rifles are a different story?

I usually don't load anything at start loads? I try to choose powders that I can use midrange charges that yield good load density for reliable stable ignition and start pressures while delivering the desired velocity.

I love the big old .45's, ACP, and Colt, but I'm a firm believer in high load density. These aren't always easy to achieve with many modern powders. I use Universal for most of my standard velocity stuff. It's part of the Clays family of powders from Hodgdon. It tends to work quite well in lots of cases. I'm a fan of W231/HP38 too. I used it as my go to powder for many years, but Universal suits me better. I believe it would be worth a try for you? CD

Back
Top Bottom