• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Keymod...Is something wrong or am I just doin it wrong

Ravager95

Default rank <200 posts
Hunter
25   0
Reaction score
OK well I got a good deal on a Daniel Defense Upper here and it sadly was keymod, but I got over that because of the price. I went and got some Coolhand covers for the rail and well I'm just baffled. On every other keymod accessory I have, all the locking nuts (or "boots" as they are being called in my attempts to deal with customer service) have always faced the same direction. They all point to the muzzle, except on these rails which have some pointing towards the receiver and others towards the muzzle. When you tighten the nuts into the recessed hole in the rail in the orientation logic would dictate the rails are loose as hell. With 1 backwards nut it doesn't fit all the way to the front of the keymod slot which doesn't allow the rail to fully be gripped by the nut. Sadly the contact us doesn't allow pictures so I'm gonna post some here and hope yall can tell me what the hell is wrong.

As posted from my most recent unanswered CS attempt
OK sure, I will try to walk you through this as best as I can
Picture 1.jpg

Picture 1
shows a Midwest Industries Keymod rail section. The bolts which for simplicity I have called "boots" have a heel and a toe. In a Keymod rail section you insert the boot into the rail, slide it forward and the toes catch onto the underside of the rail and it slides forward and into place. Once pushed forward the toes provide the clamping force as the screws get tightened down holding the rail section in place
Picture 2.jpg
Picture 2 shows the backside of the Coolhand rail cover and the cutout for the boot to fit into. The "squared" end on the left is the heel and the rounded end on the right is the toe which for the remaining pictures I have abbreviated as "H" for Heel and "T" for Toe.
Picture 3.jpg

Picture 3
shows the backsides of the Coolhand Rail covers and as illustrated shows on the 9 section (3 screw) panel has 2 toes pointing left and 1 toe pointing right while the 5 section (2 Screw) panels have 1 pointing left and one pointing right.
Picture 4.jpg
Picture 4 shows the Coolhand Rail cover with the screws installed and tightened in the orientation of the milled holes.
Picture 5.jpg
Picture 5 shows what happens if you reverse the last screw so they are all facing the same direction, the heel sits on the higher part of the plastic and as you tighten it down it goes off on a ~5 degree angle and doesn't sit flush.

If one of the boots goes in backwards it does not allow the rail section to sit as far forward as it could if it had them all facing the same direction. This results in less clamping force being applied and a loose rail section. So is this how they were designed, am I missing something here, or did yall have a disgruntled employee mess with the CAD design and swap 1 hole on each backwards?

I guess I am not following but all the Key Mod stuff I have dealt with the boot is free to turn. If you loosen it up you can spin it 180 degrees. Better pictures might help.

E39F24FD-EE82-42AD-A2A2-B5789B2675A2.jpeg
There is a very distinct recessed part around the hole. It is “D” shaped and while the nut spins freely for 90% of the screw threads, when it gets to the last 10% where it starts to get tight, it sits in the recessed part and locks tight.

Attachments

• 2358A753-36D7-403D-BA15-0A7F35A3CD73.jpeg
    2358A753-36D7-403D-BA15-0A7F35A3CD73.jpeg
    167.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 76643228-C859-4986-9E8F-E4C79A155CB9.jpeg
    76643228-C859-4986-9E8F-E4C79A155CB9.jpeg
    149.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 3760DEB4-C8AB-4344-8512-63FDA2E9017F.jpeg
    3760DEB4-C8AB-4344-8512-63FDA2E9017F.jpeg
    167.4 KB · Views: 6
Back
Top Bottom