• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Kids and toy guns

I'm not opposed to them having toy guns, just not letting them point them at other people. It just seems counter-productive.

I also realize that I'm ignorant to parenting because I have yet to raise a child. This was just something that I had bouncing around in my head. I just wanted to see what other parents thought of the subject. I know us gun guys get a bad rap for allowing our kids to shoot guns and handle them but that is mostly from the uneducated left. I'm willing to bet most of the kids of the guys/girls on here know more about firearms safety than the left-sided "experts".

I also realize that I'm ignorant to parenting because I have yet to raise a child. This was just something that I had bouncing around in my head. I just wanted to see what other parents thought of the subject. I know us gun guys get a bad rap for allowing our kids to shoot guns and handle them but that is mostly from the uneducated left. I'm willing to bet most of the kids of the guys/girls on here know more about firearms safety than the left-sided "experts".
i have seen my 7yo get all over a grow ass man over gun safety

I'm not opposed to them having toy guns, just not letting them point them at other people. It just seems counter-productive.
Do you intend to have him wear a seat belt in his pedal car?
Do what makes you most comfortable but the irrational fear of guns has spread to toys, pop tarts and finger guns. Fussing at a kid for PLAYING is not going to do anything to help him/her be a more responsible gun owner but it WILL help blur the lines between reality and fantasy. Seem we have enough of that already. YMMV of course.

Do you intend to have him wear a seat belt in his pedal car?
Do what makes you most comfortable but the irrational fear of guns has spread to toys, pop tarts and finger guns. Fussing at a kid for PLAYING is not going to do anything to help him/her be a more responsible gun owner but it WILL help blur the lines between reality and fantasy. Seem we have enough of that already. YMMV of course.

That's actually a very good point about the seat belt. I guess I'm thinking about the "what if" kinda stuff. In my mind if I taught him the same firearms rules with toy guns then it should translate over to real guns easily because the habits have been established.

Spending time with and educating your child are the best safeties you are going to find.
Do NOT underestimate your child, they are smarter than you think.
take the time to instruct, and practice what you tell them.

Little-Byte is 6 and a safer shooter than a solid 90% of the shooters I've seen at the ranges

Some of you have met my adult son. We had a reward system. From the first time he showed interest in guns, (about 3 years old) we told him that if he found a real gun, didn't touch us, and came and got us, he would get a reward. Now we had always taken him shooting, so he knew what guns could do. We planted unloaded guns to test him regularly. We also made an agreement with him that if he ever wanted to handle a gun, he just had to ask, and we would let him. He had to follow all the safety rules at all times. We made a point of checking to see if it was loaded every time, and had him verify it. We even worked in snap caps in the process. I'm not saying it will work with all kids, but it did with mine. The funny thing is, he still makes a point of checking every gun personally, even if he sees someone else do it first. Hand him a gun some time, you'll see.

That's actually a very good point about the seat belt. I guess I'm thinking about the "what if" kinda stuff. In my mind if I taught him the same firearms rules with toy guns then it should translate over to real guns easily because the habits have been established.

But it would sure as hell take the fun out of "Cops and Robbers". Let him play.

Back
Top Bottom