• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Kimber 1911 Safety Failed

Thanks for the pics OP.....looking at them I'd say the thumb safety was broken prior to you pulling the trigger. The little flat you see (in 2nd pic) on the internal stud of the thumb safety is what blocks the sear when in safe position. It is a close tolerance fit and any mis-alignment can allow hammer to drop. Saying that, a new thumb safety is typically a part that is fitted to every pistol so you need a competent 'smith to fit a new one or send it back to Kimber.

Curious as to the history of weapon.... Did you recently acquire it? Have you fired it much lately (prior to the AD/ND)?
Has it been dropped?

This is a good reminder for everyone to visually inspect their weapons frequently and more importantly to perform safety function checks periodically too.

I had it cocked and the external, left side safety flipped upward, (that is, safety on) and decided to test it. Pointed in a safe direction, pulled the trigger expecting nothing to happen, and BAM. Off it goes. Found the safety lever broken on the ground. I can post some photos if needed. I am wondering, should I attempt to replace this part, or should I send it to Kimber for repair? I have always done my own gunsmithing and fixed dozens of guns, but the way this part integrates with the firing mechanisms, gives me pause. I doubt there's any guidance on disassembly to the degree required to put a new one back in.
What do you expect,it's a Kimber.

I had it cocked and the external, left side safety flipped upward, (that is, safety on) and decided to test it. Pointed in a safe direction, pulled the trigger expecting nothing to happen, and BAM. Off it goes. Found the safety lever broken on the ground. I can post some photos if needed. I am wondering, should I attempt to replace this part, or should I send it to Kimber for repair? I have always done my own gunsmithing and fixed dozens of guns, but the way this part integrates with the firing mechanisms, gives me pause. I doubt there's any guidance on disassembly to the degree required to put a new one back in.
If your ever in Grantville,Ga. go by Lock Stock and Barrel,he has a box full of cracked Kimber slides.

Thanks for the pics OP.....looking at them I'd say the thumb safety was broken prior to you pulling the trigger. The little flat you see (in 2nd pic) on the internal stud of the thumb safety is what blocks the sear when in safe position. It is a close tolerance fit and any mis-alignment can allow hammer to drop. Saying that, a new thumb safety is typically a part that is fitted to every pistol so you need a competent 'smith to fit a new one or send it back to Kimber.

Curious as to the history of weapon.... Did you recently acquire it? Have you fired it much lately (prior to the AD/ND)?
Has it been dropped?

This is a good reminder for everyone to visually inspect their weapons frequently and more importantly to perform safety function checks periodically too.
I disagree follow me the slide broke the safety when firearm discharged look closely at the frame it has a mark from thumb safety deforming frame this could only happen on safe when firearm discharged. I will bet the spent case did not eject from firearm also indicating slide was hindered by the thumb safety.

Back
Top Bottom