• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Kimber 1911 Safety Failed

OP, to return that gun to Kimber, call their Customer Service number. They'll send you shipping instructions and an RMA. I returned one for warranty work recently and they sent me a UPS prepaid label for the box. Kimber turned mine around quickly - they received it on a Tuesday and I had it back on Friday of that same week. I've heard it said Kimber's CS is top notch because they have had so much practice at handling customer issues...I thought they provided excellent service for me. YMMV!

I disagree follow me the slide broke the safety when firearm discharged look closely at the frame it has a mark from thumb safety deforming frame this could only happen on safe when firearm discharged. I will bet the spent case did not eject from firearm also indicating slide was hindered by the thumb safety.

You just may be right.
OP, any updates?

I vote: defective MIM part.

Even if the gun went off with the safety engaged, if everything is fit correctly, the safety lever should not break off. The slide should have not cycled.

FYI: you should always test a gun first, when it is unloaded.

Personally, I would just replace the MIM parts as they break with Wilson, Cylinder and Slide, Brown, or EGW. If you carry it, you might consider changing the MIM out ahead of time. My Kimber’s only original MIM part is the beaver tail grip safety.

I would not send it back. Order an EGW or Ed brown safety and fit it yourself. 30 min worth of work tops.......and you have a quality part in the gun.

really? That's like getting a nail in your tire and saying your won't run Michelins anymore because it went flat.....

No its nothing like that,that is comparing apples to oranges, we are talking about an internal safety block that failed, if you carry a 1911 correctly it is cocked and locked on safe, if your safety failed the weapon has a critical failure it is unsafe. I would not put my life on that weapon.

really? That's like getting a nail in your tire and saying your won't run Michelins anymore because it went flat.....

Lol. That's a great analogy to his response.
Thankfully people don't feel the same about failed airplane parts, or car parts, or appliance parts, etc...

What happened to the OP texasgunlover texasgunlover ? He ghosted us from Texas???

Follow up: Yes, contacted Kimber. They say they'll fix it but I might prefer to do it myself since it's a simple repair. I found a video showing it does look pretty easy:
. So, I will give that a shot. No pun intended. :)

Back
Top Bottom