• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Landlord-Tenant

I had to evict a family member via Cobb Co court system from a rental property. No lease, just an agreement, it does require an advance notice so the person is not thrown out into the streets. You are fortunate to only have a room trashed, I had a whole house trashed before I got them out. Pay the court cost and do it legally to CYA. Getting someone served by a deputy gets their attention.

Put your valuable items and keepsakes into storage since your goal is to sell the house and downsize. Go visit your kids and stay with them a week or two before you take a vacation for a week or two and spend money out of pocket.

Before you leave have all of the utilities turned off with instructions not to reconnect until you return to the home.

Put your valuable items and keepsakes into storage since your goal is to sell the house and downsize. Go visit your kids and stay with them a week or two before you take a vacation for a week or two and spend money out of pocket.

Before you leave have all of the utilities turned off with instructions not to reconnect until you return to the home.
I don't think it's legal to turn off the utilities when a tenant is in residence ?

What tenant ? There is no rental agreement. None of the utilities are in the grandson's name. If the bill is not paid they would be turned off anyway so does the reason or motive matter ?

They had a verbal arrangement with an amount of "rent" agreed upon. That's an agreement.

I keep seeing people saying "verbal agreement" but how is that proved?
Georgia law, specifically Title 24 (Evidence code) says that the testimony of a single witness is generally all that's needed to prove a fact.

I believe some now-banned ex-cop was also trying to "educate" us in this thread about how lack of a written agreement means nobody can prove anything except thru "hearsay" -- but he seemed to think that verbal statements of fact from parties with actual knowledge thru firsthand participation in the event are hearsay statement. Not true. Hearsay means repeating something that somebody else told you, but you didn't witness or experience yourself.

The choice seems to be either go through the courts, (whatever that takes), or take the law into your own hands and hope the loser slinks off without making a fuss.

I don't the person involved, or how they might react to direct action, so it seems the OP has a couple of simple options, as far as I see.

If the house is to be sold I'd go the court route, just so as not to be in the middle of some dispute that might result in a sitting tenant fouling up the sale.

Back
Top Bottom