Leather Holsters a Thing of the Past ?

How is that?
A very worn in leather holster can fold in to the trigger guard when holstering/reholstering if you’re not careful. Even with kydex, you still have to worry about T-shirt’s or other clothing getting caught but it’s one less thing to worry about.

Kydex makes reholstering much easier and safe for that reason. Kydex is generally going to give you better or equal results with a slimmer profile.

Another benefit is kydex doesn’t retain moisture like a leather holster. I can leave my carry gun in the holster 24/7 without worrying about rust if I’d like to.

I miss the excitement of breaking in a new handmade fancy leather Rosen holster or similar but kydex is just much more convenient and safe in my experience.

66866E84-8D47-46A0-B849-53AFA162CBA9.jpeg

771C39FD-B270-4859-B7E4-1355B9100391.jpeg

Pictures aren’t mine but an example of what can happen.

A very worn in leather holster can fold in to the trigger guard when holstering/reholstering if you’re not careful. Even with kydex, you still have to worry about T-shirt’s or other clothing getting caught but it’s one less thing to worry about.

Kydex makes reholstering much easier and safer for that reason. Kydex is generally going to give you better or equal results with a slimmer profile.

Another benefit is kydex doesn’t retain moisture like a leather holster. I can leave my carry gun in the holster 24/7 without worrying about rust if I’d like to.

I miss the excitement of breaking in a new handmade fancy leather Rosen holster or similar but kydex is just much more convenient and safe in my experience.
I like the thought process in your post. Thanks.

I carried in leather holsters for years, however the thought of using one today makes me cringe.

Honestly I have gone full minimalist and only use tiny kydex holsters now that cover nothing but the trigger guard.
Do you mean like the trigger guard and string? I find they seem to be a great alternative.

I am a dinosaur who grew up owning genuine leather holsters [mostly hand stitched] for all my handguns. Probably because that was the only/most available type in the dark ages. Regardless, I still prefer them over Kydex or whatever. [Just as info, I also prefer deeply blued weapons over stainless/parkerized/whatever finishes and I prefer paddle holsters for ease of removing from belt area. ] Nevertheless, the point of my thread is are genuine leather holsters pretty much forever gone because of cost to manufacture or laws against animal hides being utilized or not enough interest by owners for shops to stock or they cause the weapon to sweat or ? Just curious. Thanks.

I prefer leather over plastic any day. For me, however, it is important to know just how the leather was tanned. Acid or veg-tanned.

Do you mean like the trigger guard and string? I find they seem to be a great alternative.
Y’all do whatever works best for you, but they make reholstering a much more involved and frustrating process. I can almost guarantee if you’re a civilian in a gunfight/shooting you’re going to want to reholster before/as the police show up. I have one, but I now only use it when I’m grappling with blue guns or similar.

Kydex makes reholstering much easier and safe for that reason. Kydex is generally going to give you better or equal results with a slimmer profile.

View attachment 4521701
View attachment 4521702

I dunno... my first response would be " that fatso need to lose a lot of weight".... "0)

Also, I've never seen a leather holster with a cut in it like this one in the picture has. That's just asking for trouble, especially with one of those wonder trigger-safties like on a Glock (and I have four BTW.)

View attachment 4521701
View attachment 4521702

I don’t have a leather holster that isn’t reinforced. Have no leather holster that will do that.

Back
Top Bottom