Leather Holsters a Thing of the Past ?

I am a dinosaur who grew up owning genuine leather holsters [mostly hand stitched] for all my handguns. Probably because that was the only/most available type in the dark ages. Regardless, I still prefer them over Kydex or nylon or whatever. [Just as info, I also prefer deeply blued weapons over stainless/parkerized/cerakote/whatever finishes and I prefer paddle holsters for ease of removing from belt area. ] Nevertheless, the point of my thread is are genuine leather holsters pretty much forever gone because of cost to manufacture or laws against animal hides being utilized or not enough interest by owners for shops to stock or they cause the weapon to sweat or ? Just curious. Thanks.
My edc rides in a gunner’s custom leather & kydex itw, best of both worlds. I carried a high power in the same Kramer for 25 years & it’s still my fav tho.

I am a dinosaur who grew up owning genuine leather holsters [mostly hand stitched] for all my handguns. Probably because that was the only/most available type in the dark ages. Regardless, I still prefer them over Kydex or nylon or whatever. [Just as info, I also prefer deeply blued weapons over stainless/parkerized/cerakote/whatever finishes and I prefer paddle holsters for ease of removing from belt area. ] Nevertheless, the point of my thread is are genuine leather holsters pretty much forever gone because of cost to manufacture or laws against animal hides being utilized or not enough interest by owners for shops to stock or they cause the weapon to sweat or ? Just curious. Thanks.
I grew up on leather. I've tried other materials only to quickly go back to leather. And leather is a lot easier on the firearm finish as well

I like leather for my revolvers

1658457155361.png

1658457185888.png

Kydex is too poky for me... interesting about the safety factor of Kydex with safetyless guns though-- I haven't heard that before. Doesn't affect me though; I don't carry any guns like that.

A high-quality leather holster is a thing of beauty, imparting a pride of ownership plastic cannot match. : )

Cheap leather holsters are bulky, don't fit the gun well, and easily lose their shape. Plastic does beat that. Cheaper, quicker to make, you can modify it at home with boiling water and hand tools, oil resistant, and so forth. There are clearly different quality levels in Kydex designs as well. Cough, "Crossbreed", cough... so it's not fair to lump them all together, any more than with leather.

Obviously, Kydex has its place... but naw, leather's not dead. I will go out on a limb though and say most folks have never handled a really good leather holster. I have a 15+ year old PCS pocket holster that still makes a snapping sound when the gun is holstered and the trigger guard goes into place. It's boned that well. Easy to make Kydex do that, but it's not impossible with leather either-- just at a much higher price point.

Kydex is too poky for me... interesting about the safety factor of Kydex with safetyless guns though-- I haven't heard that before. Doesn't affect me though; I don't carry any guns like that.

A high-quality leather holster is a thing of beauty, imparting a pride of ownership plastic cannot match. : )

Cheap leather holsters are bulky, don't fit the gun well, and easily lose their shape. Plastic does beat that. Cheaper, quicker to make, you can modify it at home with boiling water and hand tools, oil resistant, and so forth. There are clearly different quality levels in Kydex designs as well. Cough, "Crossbreed", cough... so it's not fair to lump them all together, any more than with leather.

Obviously, Kydex has its place... but naw, leather's not dead. I will go out on a limb though and say most folks have never handled a really good leather holster. I have a 15+ year old PCS pocket holster that still makes a snapping sound when the gun is holstered and the trigger guard goes into place. It's boned that well. Easy to make Kydex do that, but it's not impossible with leather either-- just at a much higher price point.
^^ this^^
If you’re going to buy a cheap leather holster, might as well save a few more bucks and go with Uncle Mike’s.
Quality leather ain’t cheap, but worth every penny.
Secret to a happy life, Stop Being Poor.

View attachment 4525019
jimdawg64 jimdawg64 makes a fine leather holster. Leather is not dead. I still find it more comfortable to carry. However, I use kydex still just depends on the situation. It’s all about what works for you and what’s comfortable for you.
Another accolade for jimdawg64 jimdawg64 . I love mine and now that I've accepted my boomerism and stopped trying to be young & sporty it's getting a lot more use. 20210714_121429.jpg20210714_121437.jpg

Back
Top Bottom