• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Leaving prices in sold threads?

dunkel

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
75   0
Reaction score
Was just thinking about this. I think they do it on some other gun boards. I've noticed that a lot of times, sellers don't just close their threads, but they also delete their selling prices or even the entire message. I was thinking that it would be a good idea to leave that information in there, leave up the price that stuff sells at so that others can use it as a guide. If I have a certain gun for sale and am trying to determine fair market value, it would be great to take a look through some of the older threads here and see what they're actually selling for. This would help both buyer and seller get a fair price.

Should it be a hard and fast rule? Probably not...I can understand there are times when a seller or even buyer may not want to advertise to the world how much much changed hands...maybe I was desperate for cash and sold it dirt cheap...maybe it was a sentimental buy on my part and I spent more than I should have. But overall, I think we should make an effort to leave this information out there as a tool to help others make fair deals.

What does everyone think?

A gun very rarely sells for the listed price anyhow. If you need a good resource, you can always look at the sold auctions on gunbroker.

A gun very rarely sells for the listed price anyhow. If you need a good resource, you can always look at the sold auctions on gunbroker.

Yeah, and I've done that. Maybe I've just been unlucky, but it seems the only auctions I find are the ones that have closed without a bid or without having reached the reserve. That doesn't help me much.

And even if a gun doesn't sell for the original listed price, if it sold at all, the original price must have been somewhere in the ballpark...so that still makes it a useful tool on how to price the one I have for sale.

i always have deleted everything in my ad , i don't know why . . i swear somebody told me to do that when i was done and close it !! I thought you were supposed too do that lol , i stop doing it for this reason !

I always delete the entire contents of the thread, usually as a courtesy to the buyer (although no one has ever asked for it).

I never clean out my threads but maybe I should :) And yeah, things rarely sell for the asking price (unless I screw and ask way too low).

I was thinking that it would be a good idea to leave that information in there, leave up the price that stuff sells at so that others can use it as a guide. If I have a certain gun for sale and am trying to determine fair market value, it would be great to take a look through some of the older threads here and see what they're actually selling for. This would help both buyer and seller get a fair price.

Should it be a hard and fast rule? Probably not...

What does everyone think?

Agree with you 100%, I like to look at old post to get some kind of idea of prices. Lots better to me the any of the online auction sites.

Back
Top Bottom